Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,853   Online: 752

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

L-508

Count me as another Sekonic L-508 user. Having had close to a dozen meters over the years (most still work), I've found the 508 to be versatile and accurate, although not particularly compact. I also have a Sekonic L-778 (unfortunately discontinued), which is the pistol-grip style 1° reflective spot meter (ambient and flash). If you stumble across one on the used market, it's worth considering. I like the 778 better than the Pentax meters for Zone-like readings, but I usually carry the 508 for convenience.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fingel
    I use the Minolta and it is a great meter, I bought the booster2 attachment for it and now I can take direct readings off the ground glass of my view camera. It is a nice feature for those times when you wish you had TTL metering for the view camera.
    I've got one of those myself, and I love it. My Minolta (IIIF) is 12 years old, but still works great, and I keep it because of the ground glass attachment.

I also have a Sekonic L-778; got it free when I bought my Toyo (5 years ago). It's a good meter, the pistol grip style works great. A good meter to have, if you can find one.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sekonic L-508 works with the Minolta Booster II as well. I'm not sure how widely that is known.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    I also use a Weston Ranger 9 modified to take silver button batteries.
    How did you modify the meter?

-Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I highly recommend the L-508. It gives you the option of incident or reflective spot metering, and supports cord or non-cord flash metering, plus some limited cine metering capabilities. Almost an all-around meter, but the L-508C cine version would be a better choice if you also shoot movie film.

The incident metering lumisphere on the L-508 retracts into the swiveling head where it is mounted, making it less susceptible to damage in the field. The only thing I dislike about the L-508 is that swiveling head. I don't need that feature since my hand swivels just fine, and having the lumisphere solidly mounted on the main meter body would make it even more rugged for field use.

I have a Minolta IV that I nearly always prefer over the L-508 for indoor incident light metering. I'm not sure why, since the L-508 works just as well as the Minolta. Probably just habit. Maybe because of the simplicity of the Minolta (it measures incident light only), and its smaller size.

Both of these meters run on a regular AA battery, another convenience.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin