Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,166   Posts: 1,614,434   Online: 893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135 on 5x7 may be a little rough to find. Maybe a wide field Ektar? Anybody using 135 on 5x7?

Shooter
    35mm
    There is are extensive tables on LargeFormatPhotography.info with comprehensive information on a large number of lenses grouped by target format. The information is a little dated, but I don't think much has changed since the tables were first compiled.

4x5

5x7

Steve

P.S. I use and am very happy with my Caltar II-N 90/6.8 (reputedly the same as Grandagon N 90/6.8)...$300 in Ex+ condition...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's several out there around 135mm Fuji's got a 105 & 125, Dagors etc. The limiting factor is money & value.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well,,, the idea is to actually learn to use a wide angle, not just stick a short tele in my pocket and revert the minute I get in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Keep in mind that a 90 mm lens is quite wide on 4x5, and extremely wide on 5x7; neither of which you said you are looking for. (I am correct in thinking that you wanted a moderately wide lens on 4x5 format, am I not?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i use a 135 wolly ( linhof badged ) on a 5x7.
    it clips the corners like there is no tomorrow.

if you like a kinda sorta wide views and vignettes ...
    it is a great combo!

i can never understand why people suggest using a wide angle lens on a view camera is hard to learn .
    a 90 on a 4x5 was one of the first lenses i used ... the only hard part was remembering if i was using a speed g
    to drop the bed, and if i was using a rail, to have the front standard against all the way to the front of the rail.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like and use the Fujinon 105mm SW F/8 has a 260mm IC plenty of movements on both formats. Personally I never found a wide angle lens any harder to learn with than any other lens. Except it was perhaps a bit darker on the ground glass.

Good Luck.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Well,,, the idea is to actually learn to use a wide angle, not just stick a short tele in my pocket and revert the minute I get in the field.
    ...but did you not say that you are looking for a lens that has only a moderately wide angle of view on 4x5 (i.e. similar to a 35mm lens on a small format camera)?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...but did you not say that you are looking for a lens that has only a moderately wide angle of view on 4x5 (i.e. similar to a 35mm lens on a small format camera)?
    I did say that, Not a hard and fast need/want however. Havng a 150 that covers both, it just seemd that something in the 120 range was not much of a step. I guess that would be something like a 35 vs a 55 on 35mm, and the little I've used the 35mm, I just don't see all that much real difference between it and my "normal" lens. I think the real answer is just get one, and go shoot some film instead of yaking about it. Seems I get to doing that on projects every so often, they go from being an explore for a process to the explore having a life all it's own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can recommend the 135mm Wide Field Ektar - one on my favorites on 5x7. Here's a shot with one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redrock.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    ...I must have had a bad copy of the 135mm WF Ektar, so I swapped it for a nice little, single-coated 135mm Fujinon-W in a Seiko-shutter. Lovely lens on both 4x5 and 5x7. I've heard good things about the 135mm Meopta Belar, which is a double Gauss WA like the Ektar, but seems hard to find.
    If on a budget and you want something a bit wider, but not quite 90mm, I'm pretty happy with my 104mm f9.5 Wollensak W.A. Raptar; I also strangely found that tiny lens in a nice 108mm f6.8 version which seems of a different design. Just forget the center filter option, or giant enlargements with these and also re-check focus stopped down. Useable image circles for either lens are beyond 240mm from memory and I picked them up for a song.
    PS: It'd be so nice if Cooke made a new version of their 108mm and 158mm f6.5 Series VIIb one day (say, an 85mm, a 115mm and a 165mm/f6.8; all, say, with a 40.5mm CF), they'd be a hit, provided they'd be significantly cheaper than the Super-Symmar series; unrealistic, I know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin