Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,352   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the film brand you are using a little smaller that normal? The film just slides in, there isn't enough room to really cause these symptoms unless it is outside the rail. Have you tried loading a developed negative with the border problems in the holders, and check on how much wiggle room there is? Without putting the dark slide in, jiggle the holder and observe the film movement.

Should not be much. If the image is coming off the edge, then it cannot be under the guide.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotch, the film can slide under the end flaps while still being within the rails on the sides, IME.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2F/2F, I am not near one of my holders so may be wrong, I thought than when you snap the end flap closed, it sealed it off so there would be little room to move, no? Maybe not. Probably just luck and not moving the stuff around enough to cause this.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think it seals off or at least not well enough. I'm using fomapan 100 4x5 film but i don't find it's vastly different to HP5+ for example which is the only other film I use.

I do think it is just unfortunate jiggles causing it. New, weird looking habit to get used to
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It has happened to me too. If you make sure the film is underneath the end rail when you are loading the holders, and then always keep the holders slides down or on their sides (i.e. anything but slides upward), it will end the problem.
    I am going to start doing that RIGHT NOW.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you saying don't keep the holders upright so the removable slides are on top?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got a couple of sloppy holders but also noticed that some film is cut smaller or larger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Are you saying don't keep the holders upright so the removable slides are on top?
    That is how I understand it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    2F/2F, I am not near one of my holders so may be wrong, I thought than when you snap the end flap closed, it sealed it off so there would be little room to move, no? Maybe not. Probably just luck and not moving the stuff around enough to cause this.
    That it what they are supposed to do, but some holders wear out so that the end flaps don't seat as tightly as they used to. I have had the problem mostly with older wooden holders. I can't bring myself to throw them out just yet, as they are still light tight, and the problem is easily avoided.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I am going to start doing that RIGHT NOW.

Steve
    The one problem is when you take a vertically-oriented picture.

I make sure I press the end flap into the body of the film holder until the back is putting pressure there when using suspect holders. You can tell the suspect holders because they are the ones with which there is some play in the end flaps.
    2F/2F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin