Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,032   Online: 734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... Maybe I shouldn't have sent them the serial number of my meter. If they didn't import it, I will probably awake to the sounds of a SWAT team breaking down my door. Actually, I think the statute of limitations that ran out a long time ago.

This is interesting, though. When I was in the service, I think the Mamiya RB-67 was available through the Pacific exchange to service members who were stationed out of the country. That's how I got my Nikon F2 and a ton of stereo equipment at much reduced prces. So, anyone who bought one of those RB-67s and brought it back home could get in trouble (assuming the statute of limitations hadn't run out)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not so much getting in trouble, it's getting the item serviced.
    Nikon wouldn't touch a gray market piece. They'd just send it back as unserviceable. You could get it serviced by an independent repairer.
    I've never heard of a company confiscating a piece of equipment.
    Even if it was bought from B&H it could have been gray market. Some large retailers would import through Hong Kong and service it themselves under warranty.
    By having Gray and US import it would give two price levels for the same equipment. Think in terms of a couple of hundred buck on a thousand dollar item.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some Sekonic meters, especially those that swallow PW trigger modules, carry a sticker indicating regional frequencies, e.g., CE for Europe and Asia, FCC for N. America. Gray market meters sold in N. America typically are CE specified since most come from HK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just heard back from Sekonic. They said the meter was probably imported by MAC if I got it from B&H, but they also said they would repair it even if it wasn't, if they have the parts. I hope they have the parts. If not, I'm probably going to get really whiny and make life uncomfortable for everyone around me for a while. I really like that meter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Mac Repair

I had a 758 repaired by them recently and was very pleased with the service. Granted, it was made much more pleasant by the fact they did it under warranty even though it had expired a couple of months earlier! Not familiar with the 778, is that a later version? Also, I see you said you're in N Ala, I'm in Hsv. Are you shooting LF? If so, PM me and let's tag up sometime.

bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin