Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,241   Online: 702
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393

    Sekonic meters and the Mack Group

    I started playing with my new Shen-Hao camera the other day and found out my Sekonic L-778 spot meter is acting goofy. The Sekonic website says they will repair Sekonic meters imported by MAC Group, but how do I know if my meter was imported by MAC Group? Does anyone know how long MAC has owned Sekonic? I've probably had this meter since the 90s and almost certainly bought it from B&H. Since I will be paying the repair bill, why would they care? The 778 is one of the ones they list in their repair cost estimates.

    Unless someone here can say definitively that they won't repair it, I was planning to send it to them and see if they repair it. It's certainly no good to me as it is. I would hate to shell out the bucks for another one...

    MAC used to be Mamiya America, by the way.

  2. #2
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,389
    Images
    60
    MAC (formerly Mamiya America) have been the authorized importers for Sekonic and Mamiya and others for a very long time.

    They have always attempted to prevent a healthy "grey" market by refusing to repair anything not imported by them.

    They most likely have records of all the serial numbers imported by them. I would suggest contacting them first to determine if they will accept your meter.

    There may be other, recommended repair resources. Maybe even some that are local to you. Whereabouts are you?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #3
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    There may be other, recommended repair resources. Maybe even some that are local to you. Whereabouts are you?
    I'm in north Alabama. I was thinking that they would probably have a better parts inventory since they are located at the same address as MAC Group.

    I'll send them a message with the serial number and see if they reply.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    67
    There is (or at least was) an independent meter repair shop in Hollywood (the movie folks use lots of light meters). They (years ago) did a real good repair job for me on an older Sekonic. No website, but you can reach them (323) 467-2265 or georgepmilton@worldnet.att.net

  5. #5
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    As stated above, MAC likely keeps tabs on serial #, i.e., gray-vs-MAC imported Sekonic product. If you bought from B&H, then it's probably cool. Quality Light Metric Co. in LA is a reliable meter repair joint if MAC doesn't love your 778.

  6. #6
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,292
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomf2468 View Post
    There is (or at least was) an independent meter repair shop in Hollywood (the movie folks use lots of light meters). They (years ago) did a real good repair job for me on an older Sekonic. No website, but you can reach them (323) 467-2265 or georgepmilton@worldnet.att.net
    Quality Light Metric Co.
    7095 Hollywood Blvd.
    Suite 550
    Los Angeles, CA 90028
    (323) 467-2265

    As stated above, no web site. But these guys have been around forever and have a stellar reputation. They've fixed and calibrated meters for me, albeit many, many years ago. They are just down the street and across from Grauman's Chinese Theater, if you are familiar with that Los Angeles landmark.

    I believe the above email address is also correct.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    MAC (formerly Mamiya America) have been the authorized importers for Sekonic and Mamiya and others for a very long time.

    They have always attempted to prevent a healthy "grey" market by refusing to repair anything not imported by them.

    They most likely have records of all the serial numbers imported by them. I would suggest contacting them first to determine if they will accept your meter.
    If you do, and it turns out to be one not imported by them, you run a risk of the police knocking on your door to seize the illegal product.

    MAC never was the "authorized" importer of Mamiya products. They registered the Mamiya brand name, and could then control the import of anything that had the name Mamiya on it.
    So 'authorized', in that they were allowed to register the name of an existing company as their own. So one could say MAC wasn't quite a pirate, but a privateer.

  8. #8
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    If you do, and it turns out to be one not imported by them, you run a risk of the police knocking on your door to seize the illegal product.

    MAC never was the "authorized" importer of Mamiya products. They registered the Mamiya brand name, and could then control the import of anything that had the name Mamiya on it.
    So 'authorized', in that they were allowed to register the name of an existing company as their own. So one could say MAC wasn't quite a pirate, but a privateer.
    What? Care to explain this?

    http://www.mamiya-usa.com/about-us-g...k-warning.html

    I suppose the same could be said of Nikon USA or Nikon Canada, too.

    Not helpful.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What? Care to explain this?

    http://www.mamiya-usa.com/about-us-g...k-warning.html

    I suppose the same could be said of Nikon USA or Nikon Canada, too.

    Not helpful.
    What could be said about Nikon too?
    That they are not Nikon?

    They are.

    But MAC was not Mamiya. Had nothing to do with Mamiya. But made it impossible for Mamiya to import and sell Mamiya products in the U.S. because they, MAC, had registered the tradename in the U.S.
    So Mamiya had three choices: not sell their products in the U.S., assume another name, or bow to the demands of MAC. They did (had to, really) the latter.

    Helpful, because MAC was known to indeed do what the page you link to promised: aggressively pursue their rights.
    More so than any other company. Nikon may refuse to service grey import. But MAC will have it, and you.

    MAC also 'acquired' the tradename Sekonic, even though they have nothing to do with the real Sekonic company. And they have done that to pursue the same aggressive (both towards Sekonic and the people who want to own Sekonic products) business model.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 08-28-2010 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #10
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    What could be said about Nikon too?
    That they are not Nikon?

    They are.

    But MAC was not Mamiya. Had nothing to do with Mamiya. But made it impossible for Mamiya to import and sell Mamiya products in the U.S. because they, MAC, had registered the tradename in the U.S.
    So Mamiya had three choices: not sell their products in the U.S., assume another name, or bow to the demands of MAC. They did (had to, really) the latter.

    Helpful, because MAC was known to indeed do what the page you link to promised: aggressively pursue their rights.
    More so than any other company. Nikon may refuse to service grey import. But MAC will have it, and you.

    MAC also 'acquired' the tradename Sekonic, even though they have nothing to do with the real Sekonic company. And they have done that to pursue the same aggressive (both towards Sekonic and the people who want to own Sekonic products) business model.
    Your agitation is puzzling(OK, absurd)since I don't recall Mamiya/Sekonic Japan ever claiming MAC's situation amounted to a restraint of trade involving their product. Besides, you're not even in N. America. MAC has always been quite helpful and generous with advice and service on the products they sell here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin