Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,748   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Bail Back handle for large format camera

Does any possibly know who might have invented or was the innovator of the Bail Back handle for Large Format Cameras?

I am attempting to do some research in the development and design or Large Format Cameras and I am interested in finding out this information. If anyone had any idea where the Bail Back originated I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jason

Shooter
    Large Format

Bail Handle Film Back

I suggest trying to contact

Cambo Fotografische Industrie BV
    Haatlanderdijk 45 / PO Box 200
    NL-8260 AE Kampen
    The Netherlands
    tel: +31 (0) 38 3314644
    fax: +31 (0) 38 3315110
    e-mail: info@cambo.com

or

http://www.cambo.com/

for a definitive answer.

Cambo is the only camera that I’ve used whose backs were equipped with the “bail release”, which is a rectangular loop handle whose ends cam against the fixed part of the ground glass/film holder frame to hold the spring back open against the force of the closing springs. This allows for the easy insertion/removal of a film holder. This feature used to be incorporated into the Cambo backs. In recent years it was eliminated on the smaller sizes, but retained on the 8” x 10” backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were used on De Vere mono-rail cameras just after WWII. All 3 backs for my camera use them. Not sure if all the MPP monorails used them but som did, but that was much later.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 4 cameras which use them, An older Arca 8x10, a modern Arca 5x7, a Fatif 8x10 and a new Chamonix 11x14 with a double bail ( I like this handle setup best)...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Galvin view cameras too. I've never tried -- don't have a 2x3 Galvin -- but I've read that the standard Galvin 2x3 bail back opens wide enough to accept a Graflex roll holder. I do have a bail back for my 2x3 Cambo SC, it won't open that wide.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Calumet C-1 8x10 and cc400 4x5 cameras also have bail.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd contact Richard Ritter. He has worked on enough antique camera that he just might know.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    R.H Phillips cameras. Some had them as standard (my 7x17), some as optional. Dick added a bail to my 1993 8x10 Advantage series 8x10.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the responses. I really was looking for who originated the Bail handle but maybe I did not post that clearly enough. I do understand lots of camera's have the bail handle, and I have been on Richard Ritter's web site so I know he can make or add a Bail handle to many camera's. I even met Richard in August of this year.

Again what I am looking for was who originated or invented the Bail Handle.? If anyone knows the answer to this question I would appreciate it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    First camera I saw made with a bail was a French Stereo camera from the late 1800's Camera had no name on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin