Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,747   Posts: 1,483,769   Online: 755

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax digital spot meter

Hello,

I'm looking for a Pentax digital spot meter and haven't had any real luck finding it online (new that is).

Are they manufactured any longer?

Would "that auction site" and other used shops be my only option? I have found some used ones.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by mike_murtaugh; 08-31-2010 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I don't think Pentax actually makes these meters anymore, but they are reasonably plentiful on the used market, as you mentioned. I actually did see one "new" (new old stock) on the shelf of Competitive Camera in Dallas, TX a year or two ago. I think it was marked around $800. For my money, I'll spend less than half of that on a perfectly reliable used one, or just spring for a Sekonic L-5 or 7 series, or Gossen Starlite 'multi-meter'. Those can be got new if you must have a brand new meter for closer to $500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to reconsider a new Pentax if it is of the last batch. I also couldn't find a new one stateside and bought one from Robert White, of the last batch manufactured. Very nice meter except the spot it actually metered was not the spot that was marked in the viewfinder - I tested it on a bare light bulb to determine this.

So I contacted Robert White, told them what the problem was and returned it. They tested it also and agreed with me, the spot actually metered was about 1/2 the diameter of the spot beneath the marked spot. They offered me my money back and said all the others they had left tested the same way. I had them return the meter to Pentax and it was returned in the same condition, so I asked for, and received a refund.

I ended up buying a good used Zone VI meter (it meters the marked spot) and having Richard Ritter give it a calibration and checkup, and I'm happy with what I have.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got mine brand new from Calumet on Highland in L.A. about three years ago to replace my Pentax 1/21 meter. At that time, it was the only place I could find that stocked them. It was $500. At the time, Pentax listed it on their Website.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys, good info as always.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin