Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 806

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 12" Goerz Am Opt Dagor would be a nice option, I'm always amazed at the image quality of mine

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikkor M300/9 if you want something small.
    But as others have said before, there are a lot of lenses out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nearly every lens you see in a Copal-3 will cover 8x10. For lenses in smaller shutters, you will have to look up the coverage in one of the various charts on the internet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Mike. Yes, Im making my own negs and everything. For the time being, im all over the place with dry plate, wet plate, and film, but seem to be falling in love with the calotype, not to mention the various types of processing. I started playing with my New Vue 4x5, and have been wanting a 8x10 for a long time. I figured the best way to start would be the Eastman 2D 8x10 since its the cheapest out there. If it continues to be the addiction that it is, then it will be time to move up. Its a bit like buying that first set of golf clubs from Play It Again Sports. If I stick with it, then the wife will let me spend the money to upgrade.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For me a 300 is a bit wide, but the Nikon 300M is small, light, modern and available. Did the Wollensak triple thing but when I got a 14" Commercial Ektar it became my only lens for 8x10. I have a 240 Schenider still mounted up but never used.

Heres what to look for:
    Kodak Commercial Ektar, 14"
    Kodak Wide Field Ektar, 10"/250mm(kind of wide)
    Ilex 375mm
    Goerz Dagor 300mm
    Goerz Artar 16-1/2" or 19"(kind of long)
    Schneider G Claron 240mm(kind of wide) 270mm, 305mm, 355mm
    Schneider Symmar 240mm, 300mm
    Wollensak Series I triple convertible(much preferred IMHO to the Turner Reich)
    Wollensak Velostigmat 12"
    Turner Reich triple convertible

There are boatloads of other lenses, but these show up pretty often in good working shutters, anywhere from $200 on up (and up and up!) All are capable of outstanding photographs( if you do your part)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Even though I love my 80m lens on my Rollei, in LF I find normal lenses to be too wide for primary use. For the 4x5 I nearly always use a 210 (opposed to the normal 150) and with 8x10 my main lens is 14 inch, 355mm as opposed to the 12 inch, 300mm lens. I do own both a 300 and a 150 but they sit unused. But buy used lenses and if you don't like them, sell them. Live and learn.
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm new to 8x10 too, also using a 2-D. I've been using the 12-20-28 T-R triple and a 240mm Dagor mostly, shooting paper negatives so far.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the info gang. Now that you have helped me with my lens homework, I wish you could help me make a better calotype.
    Fotoguy20d, what kind of paper negatives are you working on?
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Off the shelf so far - Ilford MG, both RC and Fiber. It's cheap and easy to work with. My first shoot with the camera was at a Civil War era living history - the paper, to my unexpert eye, seemed to yield a period authentic feel due to the red insensitivity. I want to try tintypes with it next - was going to try a kit from Rockland.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails artillery-2s.jpg  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin