Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 717

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Very nice. Is that a scanned reversal? What was your exposure time on that? I think I will try one of those paper shots to show you what my lens is looking like. I'd like to see it myself actually. I have one of those Rockland kits at home now, but have not had a chance to use it yet. Thanks Dan
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The image is a scan of the paper negative using a cheap Epson flatbed - 3170 photo. It''s a 1 second exposure through the rear cell only of a 1908 240mm Dagor. I think it was f16 on the scale so around f28. I expose the paper as ASA 3.

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Very cool. Thanks Dan, ill have to give that a try.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Off the shelf so far - Ilford MG, both RC and Fiber. It's cheap and easy to work with. My first shoot with the camera was at a Civil War era living history - the paper, to my unexpert eye, seemed to yield a period authentic feel due to the red insensitivity. I want to try tintypes with it next - was going to try a kit from Rockland.

Dan
    Dan, sometime in the future and if you haven't already, you might try a yellow filter on the taking lens. It will surely extend your exposure time, but I have been shooting paper negatives in my 8x10 and noticed that blue skies were always overexposed. After testing with a yellow filter the clouds started to emerge, and the paper negatives started to resemble normal negatives. I was even able to pull detail out of the shadows that previously had eluded me when no filter was used. I'm still testing this method, but thought I'd mention.

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, one or two yellow filters have always been reccomended for ortho film, but if you like the pre 1900 look shoot without, as the non-corrected plates and film used then would not respond to a filter. And, by the way, ortho is the normal film. Pan is johnny come lately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, I think someone is selling a commercial Ektar right here on APUG. At least they were yesterday... but I cant' find it at present.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello Dennis
    Good to read what you say. I like std. lens for any cameras I use. I have just got an 8 x 10 back for my Sinar P. I am told I can use my 210mm lens on the 8 x 10.
    Do you use your 14inch 355mm lens indoors and out?
    Any examples of your work that I can see?
    pauljohns@slingshot.co.nz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind messing around a little on the cheap, try the "99c 325mm f3.5 single element" design... That is a $0.99 magnifying glass set in a piece of black mat board. Mark Sawyer has a thread over at LF on these. I assembled one of these and cut a few DIY apertures down to f42. My nearest "real" lens is a 203 Ektar, which severely cuts the corners at infinity. Here is a shot from last night of a paper negative stopped down to f42 using a 5x7 back, but it easily covers 8x10 and beyond. [IMG][/IMG]

This is certainly enough to help me get my feet wet with 8x10 until providence (or my loving wife) drops a more suitable lens in my lap.
    Last edited by Toffle; 12-23-2010 at 10:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would like to know if anyone has used a 210mm lens with an 8 x 10 film format Sinar P.

If yes...any examples for me to look at?

What settings did you find successful?

Thank you.
    Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Schneider Symnar 5.6/300mm lens

Hello. I am looking to buy my first lens for an 8 x 10 Sinar P camera. Will the above lens be good to purchase?
    Ideally I want a lens to use in a studio setting (figures and portraits) and also out in the field = landscape.
    If I could use it for both that would be very convenient for me. I like to keep it simple.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin