Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,798   Online: 823

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Nikon SWD 75 4.5 or Nikon SWD 90 4.5 Pro's and Con's Which would you choose?

I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can compare both the 75mm and 90mm 4.5 Nikor/Nikon lenses. I might add here that the Nikon SWD 75mm 4.5 is a 67mm filter thread and the Nikon SWD 90 mm 4.5 is a 82mm filter thread if that matters to anyone. I am not someone that is hiking or backpacking with my camera and lenses.

If you were in my position which lens would you keep? Why would you choose that particular focal length? Are there any other concerns or conditions that would influence you to choose one over the other? Is there any compelling reason to consider keeping both lenses?

I know there will be some responses where others will post that it all depends on my shooting style, but since there is only 15mm difference and the 75mm image can be cropped, I really do not know if that is really a good argument.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jason

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I own both. There are times when you can't backup enough due to a wall or another obstruction. That's when the 75 comes into play, or my Nikon 65mm.

The more lenses you have the more options there are. The two lenses render the world differently.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Both are good lenses, though I am biased towards Fuji. Honestly, I think the focal lengths are a little too close. I would go with a 65mm and keep the 90mm. But you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    I own both. There are times when you can't backup enough due to a wall or another obstruction. That's when the 75 comes into play, or my Nikon 65mm.

The more lenses you have the more options there are. The two lenses render the world differently.
    I agree that two lenses render the world differently, but I question how that has been impacted by the tools like photo shop that we have available today. Not to get off topic with this idea but one of the considerations for me making this post is that times have changed in regard to how post processing can be applied and how we can manipulate the negative and the final image today. In my opinion it really is something that should be taken into consideration, especially when considering lenses and focal lengths.

Jason

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoneVI View Post
    I am lucky enough to be in a position where I can compare both the 75mm and 90mm 4.5 Nikor/Nikon lenses.
    Sorry if this sounds facetious, but wouldn't that place you in the best position to choose?

Few would have the luxury of having both lenses at the same time, whereas you could use them both for a while, and choose the one you like best - or even both of finances are not constrained.

Truth be told, both lenses share the exact same optical design which is merely uniformly scaled for all the 'fast' SW lenses - 65, 75, and 90. They have the exact same coatings and contrast behaviour. It's simply a decision to be made based on your angle of view, and compactness, requirements.

Like most modern large format lenses, they are unformly excellent, it's completely pointless to debate resolution and aberrations with these lenses.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoneVI View Post
    I agree that two lenses render the world differently, but I question how that has been impacted by the tools like photo shop that we have available today. Not to get off topic with this idea but one of the considerations for me making this post is that times have changed in regard to how post processing can be applied and how we can manipulate the negative and the final image today. In my opinion it really is something that should be taken into consideration, especially when considering lenses and focal lengths.

Jason
    I agree with the above. I have both lenses and use the 90mm as my widest landscape lens and the 75mm as my standard architectural lens, though I am thinking of replacing both with a Schneider Symmar 80mm f4.5 XL.... one day in the distant future
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own also this lenses including the 120mm SW, but how can we deside for you!
    I use my 75mm more then the 90mm even if I prefer the look of the 90mm more but in Switzerland is many times a 90 to long to cover a building on the street or on a place. Everything is small in Swiss only the mountains are big;--)))

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin