Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,508   Online: 968

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It must be an undocumented feature -- the data sheets for those instant films make no mention of anything except a print.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I love making one-of-a-kind images. And, as several folks have mentioned here, it adds a whole new dimension to portrait and travel photography because it helps you interact with your subjects. I did a three week bicycle trip through southern Spain last year with only a polaroid camera and enough Fuji instant to take two shots per day.
    Last edited by vdonovan; 09-05-2010 at 12:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Is this true? I thought only the legendary Type 55 allowed that. How do you do it?
    You tape it down and use bleach, the laundry kind, to take off the black coating on the back. It only takes a few minutes to do. You of course do not want to get any bleach on the emulsion side.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    And, of course, scanning the negative side gives an interesting faux wet plate look:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a fascinating "goof" on the Fuji... I might have to re-considering my abandonment of instant photography!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Polaroid back for my Hasselblad that happily accepts the smaller sized Fuji instant films. I don't use it much at all. There was a time when I used it to check lighting ratios with studio lighting setups, but that's no longer necessary. Now I use, dare I say it here, a borrowed DSLR or Canon G11 for the job. Shows me exactly what I need to know, right now, and without outrageous film costs. The Canon G11 fits in my pocket, has complete manual overrides for everything, and is compatible with studio strobes. What's not to like?

I agree that using a 4x5 Polaroid back in a Crown or Speed Graphic can be a fun thing, but it is an expensive proposition unless you can sell the shots for a not inconsiderable price. There's a fellow here in NY who does just that, Lou Mendez; and rumor has it that he gets about $20 each. I've seen him out and about on the streets many times, and I'll always stop to say hello. He's a real class act this guy.

A NY Times article about the man from 1995 here:

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/01/ny...ll-travel.html

See pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zippergooch/4883830125/#/

and here:

http://isnapny.com/2009/09/30/louis-mendez/

http://modomatic.posterous.com/meet-mr-mendes
    Last edited by fschifano; 09-08-2010 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Honestly, I've only ever shot them for one reason: they're fun at parties. I know it's great to use for the people with the P-backs for their cameras but I just used a land camera, some old-stock, single-flash bulb things and would load up and leave it on a table at a bar or gathering for people to abuse as they will. It's always been fun and it's a great way for people to exchange numbers and stuff. Yes, the film is expensive and it's a bit absurd to use it in this way now but that's really the only time I've put Polaroid to use...at least in my adult life. As a child a Polaroid was the first camera I ever had of my own, before my father passed down his Minolta (can't recall the model) when I was about 8 or 9.

That's that.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a polaroid back for my Speed, using the 3x4 pack film. I'm using Soft Scrub with bleach to clear the back of the negative. I tried it on a junk shot today, it works! I'll try again with a better shot tomorrow, post it when I get a chance.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I decided to scan this first effort, not much of a subject, my dog was snoozing in a doorway, I used the soft scrub gel and it seems to clear easily without the mess of liquid bleach all over the place. Be sure to wear gloves when doing this. I put the negative face down on some folded up newspaper, squirted it with about 5mL of gel, spread it with a gloved fingertip til it started clearing. I then took some folded up paper towels and blotted the excess gel before washing it gently under running water. Hung it up to dry. It is kind of surreal. Looks like it could use a bit more clearing or washing.

Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good idea, nice result.
    I think i'm going to dust off my Polaroid backs and order some Fuji film now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin