Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 996

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Do you shoot Polaroids? What for?

Do you shoot instant prints? Why? What do you use them for?

I'm lucky to have a 4x5 film back that holds the FP100C45 film. The trouble is, I'm trying to decide what value it is. I've used it before, but I haven't lately. I'm thinking of selling it but maybe I'm just overlooking the value of instant prints.

I could use it to confirm exposure, but exposure isn't usually very hard to determine with negative film, and with slide film, the speed correlation between the instant film and the slide film is probably too weak to be of supreme value. This film costs $3 per sheet...or over twice as much as TMAX 400. I could shoot 2 extra negatives for the same price as shooting one instant print, so it wouldn't be saving me money over bracketing.

I can see how the instant prints could be useful for cataloging purposes or proofs for clients, if I had clients. I guess you could use them as finished objects in their own right, but they are pretty small and not enlargeable or scannable. Taking an instant print really allows a good look at the composition...I often fail to notice background objects or OOF foreground objects until I see them on the instant print. This I suppose has value if it saves you from wasting a hike because you found out the cable release or camera bed was in the image. But you have to carry the bulky film back with you.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use it on back of a crown graphic as a general instant camera. I like instant prints, I like the idea of a one-off unique shot, and I like their look. Of course, I occasionally use them for composition/lighting checks (though rarely for exposure, as you note).

If you buy in bulk on eBay, and don't mind iffy expiration dates, you can get them under $2/shot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't for a long time now.
    I did, only to show other people what the final result would be. Or rather, as a low quality version of what the final result would be.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm thinking you might be able to make money by selling polaroid portraits at fairs and festivals. But at $3 per shot input cost, the final price would have to be substantial to get people to buy in.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to use on a Crown Graphic as a high end, very versatile Polaroid. The photos I took with Polaroid was when I needed a print ASAP for business.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stopped shooting Polaroid about 5 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot it simply because its Polaroid (or Impossible...or Fuji). It's quite magical to think about the amazing chemical process that is going on right in your hands to make an image without a darkroom, or even without any kind of computer at all. It's a simplistic idea that is quite complex. It's magic!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Do you shoot instant prints? Why? What do you use them for?
    They do help a lot when using flash lights (more than one), especially if it you pay for the studio, model and so on specifically for that occasion. Or if there is not enough modeling light for previewing the flash setup.

And they are enlargeable if you are desperate enough, for example lost the real negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use them with my Hasselblad (so 100) and I love it, i use it both for checking light (strobes) and creating photos. I think its a shame that Polaroid stopped the production and i really really want the impossible project to start up the 8x10 production, I would love to shoot more 8x10 Polaroid, loved it. I also would love if TIP would start production of 100 film, but we still have fuji 100B/C and 3000B (which is really cool).

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i used to shoot type 59 polaroids often. i often documented sites that had "restricted access" ...
    certain things were not allowed to be even in the frame for various reasons.
    i would photograph everything with the polaroid first, then expose my film
    and submit the polaroids for review, go back, process the negatives
    and then submit them for review after they were proofed.
    i used to use a little bit of the type 55 film mainly because it was fun

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin