Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,241   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the busy bender

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    I am not really asking anyone to take sides. I just wanted to share my experience...
    Though by posting your experience this way, in effect, is a subtle way of soliciting opinions, which inevitably will lead to whether we agree or disagree with you/Bender.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Emails can be so impersonal at times (nix that, very often!). His honesty, perhaps sounding brutal, moreso because of the medium chosen to display it, is nevertheless refreshing in the LF industry.
    Francesco

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    ...and I had every intention of buying stuff from him. I don't set his profit margins.
    You missed my point, Bender is in the camera kit business, not the sell you the most difficult piece to manufacture do you can build your own camera based on his design business. Would you have been upset if he would have said the back will cost you the same price as the entire kit?
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    ....Would you have been upset if he would have said the back will cost you the same price as the entire kit?
    nope

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    honestly I think its pretty trivial and somewhat unprofessional that you posted the email correspondence between the two of you.

Mr. Bender is a professional and courteous individual who was politely and courteously watching his a$$. I dont blame him.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am sure all of us that are self employed have had the experience where you spend all kinds of time with someone, map everything out for them, give them documentation etc. and then have them take all your expertise down to some bottom feeder that will beat your price by a few bucks just to get the sale. Actually in this case there are two bottom feeders, the customer and the eventual seller.

In my case it has cost me thousands of dollars to gain the expertise I have and I'm not giving it away. I learned the hard way, trying to be a nice guy, but unfortunately there are always unethical people out there that spoil it for others. Fortunately I learn very quickly. If someone comes in and wants a bunch of free advise they put up a non-refundable deposit that goes against the order. That way I sort out the tire kickers real quick and get something for my time if they do evertually go elsewhere. If they book with me then the deposit is put against the final bill so they aren't out anything. Repeat customers generally do not get charged the up-front deposit.

90 percent of our business comes by word of mouth and we have a very large retention figure so I guess we are doing something right. Mind you we are not the cheapest guys in town either. Our customers have recognized that what we have to offer is worth something. The extra mile we go doesn't come for free, but they sure are glad to get our help when they really need it.

Once people get past this bottom line mentality and recognize that expertise is worth something then maybe we will get back to the days when shop owners would spend the extra time with you and give some free advice.

But these days it's "money talks and bull$hit walks".
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I remember when I was laid off I went to work at a friend's camera shop. Many people would come in asking questions about cameras, asking to see them and handle them, only to leave the store and go buy it at B&H or some other mail order store. Of course the same people would come back to the store so we could help them figure out what they were doing wrong or if there was a problem. One woman even had the audacity to tell me "can you show me that camera I want to buy at B&H".....The owner happened to be at the store at that time, he politely but firmly told her to please leave the store, that her business was not wanted.

I see nothing wrong with what Jay did, he was probably weighing loosing one potential part customer in exchange for being able to take care of his real customers. The Bender company has always been known for good customer service and response to their customers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy I'm sorry Matthew but, I am so far on to Jay's side of this that it is irksome to me that the correspondence was posted. The man is not a consultant or part supplier, but a designer and seller of cameras.

Think how your questions must have sounded to him:
    Q:"Will you tell me how your widget is made so that I can incorporate it into something that will deprive you an income? Is your widget well made and will it hold up in the field?"
    A:"No, my widgets suck, but please ask me any question you like -- its free and I want to go out of business."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... not to mention that it's considered rather rude to post "private" email without the consent of the other party involved.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Hey Fry, bite my shiny metal ass!"

Oops! wrong Bender...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin