Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,358   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filters for large format cameras?

Hi, I'm quite new to large format and I have a question about filters, basically I've always been fond of Cokin filters so that's what I'm going to aim at getting. I have a bit of confusion of what ones to get though because there are 4 types, A,P,Z,X Which would be best suited to large format because I originally thought as long as the filter covers the lens it will work? On the Cokin website it does however state that the Z or X are ok.

Is anyone using the P series filters on a large format camera, 4X5 size film?
    Minolta Autocord
    Shen Hao PTB

http://www.lewisrichards-photo.com

BA(Hons) Photographic Practice

Shooter
    35mm
    Kinda depends on the lens, no? My most often used lenses for 4x5 have 46mm threads (1 Fuji) and 67mm threads (1 Fuji & 1 Nikkor). My Kodak Ektar 127mm lens uses slip on Series VI. I have an assortment of B+W & heliopan filters in 46mm & 67mm. Horses for courses.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a compendium shade that has a built in 3x3 filter holder, I can use it with any lens.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the P series for both 4x5 and 8x10.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use P series as a standard. They are large enough for my largest lens, and then I use the adapter rings that I need for each lens.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use filters extensively, but when I do, I used Cokin P.

Both of my 4x5 lenses have a 67mm front thread, so one adapter ring, and one filter holder, is all I need.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the A filters. They are more than large enough for every lens I use in 4x5 and the 35mm and 120 cameras where it doesn't block the viewfinder. The only lens I use on my 4x5 right now is an old Calumet 6", which is one of the smallest lenses I have in any format. I had to use 2 step up rings just to get the smallest A filter holder ring on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hitech has a nice system for 100mm filters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you are scanning and editing your images in Photo Shop CS5, you can always choose to apply your filters during that process. This is something I am considering doing because the capability is there to do it after the fact and you work with layers you can apply different filters to different parts of the image. I am also new to large format but my process is to develop in a daylight tank and then make a quality scan and work from there.

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I have a compendium shade that has a built in 3x3 filter holder, I can use it with any lens.
    Rick, might I ask what compendium you are using?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin