Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,614   Online: 896

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Calumet CC-402 "extension box?"

I won a CC-402 for architectural use. A guy was selling online wrote that he used an "extension box" so that he could use longer lenses. Is anyone familiar with that? I ask because I may want to take an occasional portrait.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kekhotep; 09-09-2010 at 12:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Grammar error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since toe bellows are short for using short focal length (wide angle)lenses, you must add bellows to focus longer focal length lenses. If you are trying to use a 300mm lens on it you may run out of bellows extension before you achieve focus, especially if your subject is closer than infinity. I use a CC-400 and CC-401 with a recessed lens board for architecture, and do not have problems focusing on anything close as I have plenty of bellows travel, especially with the 401(22 inch bellows). You shouldn't have any problems using a 150mm lens for portraits with the 402. I read that someone uses a recessed lens board reversed (extension outward instead of inward)for longer lenses.

Congrats on the CC-402, its supposed to be a good camera. It uses softer bellows material than the 400 and 401 models for allowing decent movements with the shorter bellows draw.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for your reply Rick. I was wondering if a recessed board could be flipped and used.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the wide angle Calumet, it can handle a 190mm to around 15 feet. That info is no help to you. Reversing a board won't work if it's a Calumet because of the lip around the standard board. In any case you can buy a standard or long rail model for well under $100. That's what I did. I have a Long Rail model (26") that I cut down to 20" Plenty long enough for still life or portrait. Making up a woodboard with a tophat is not worth the trouble with the prices on e-bay.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, Thank you sir.

You're saying just with a longer monorail I can use a longer focal length lens, i.e. 190mm? Or, will I need to have a substitute bellows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You cannot change the bellows on the old Calumets. Well, you could, but its a major teardown.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin