Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,161   Online: 772

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New to LF. is this a good bargain?

Hi all

I am having a bit of a problem figuring this deal out. I am able to buy the following (as described by seller):

* Linhof Technika III for 9x12, 4x5"

* Angulon 90mm 6,8

* Xenar 240mm 5,5.

* Linhof Tripod included

The camera and lenses are in good shape. Some tear on the leather from the panorama-head of the tripod.

Now here is my concerns, not knowing too much about LF:

He is writing something about the 90mm not being the right "number" or "distance". I can't really figure out exactly what the seller means here. What could it be?

Also. I want to shoot 4x5" and I know that some lenses aren't meant for that, something about coveredge etc.?

How much should this outfit cost? And most important of all: is it, if cheap and a good bargain, my way into LF? - me being on a budget.

I hope that someone out there can help - I have tried google and all sorts of stuff but I think this questions needs real people with real knowledge - so I once more turn my head to APUG

Best regards,

Kim

Pictures of the outfit in question here
    Last edited by Kim Catton; 09-09-2010 at 01:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a 90mm Angulon will cover 5"x4" but only just. Perhaps a bit extra for small amounts of movements but nothing extreme.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/.../6,8-90mm.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Linhof Technika cameras have a cam between the front standard and the rangefinder. The Model III required that the lens and cam match. Those older cams had the lens serial number engraved on it. It sounds to me like the lens that comes with this camera does not match the 90mm cam for that camera.
    Every lens has it's own image circle. That information is usually listed on the internet somewhere. A larger image circle allows you more movements of the lens to adjust composition, depth of field, etc. However, a folding field camera like the Technika doesn't have a huge range of movements like a monorail studio camera would have. So you can get by with lenses that have a smaller image circle. Be careful, you do need an image circle that covers 4x5 film at infinity. As you focus closer the image circle increases slightly.
    Great source of information.....
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../technika.html
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Linhof cameras are probably not the best "bargain". They tend to cost more than other cameras. They are built to last a lifetime. That makes them economical in the long term.
    You might eventually want a more modern lens between 90mm and 240mm. There are many available and not very expensive. Something like a Fuji 150mm/5.6 would be a good, low cost lens between 90mm & 240mm.

ps: I just looked at the photos of that camera. It appears to be in good shape. By comparison, my Technika V looks ugly, but it works just fine. There is a lot to be said for the quality of the Linhof cameras. Solid like an anvil and almost as heavy. Grinning.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Around 550USD is what I would have to pay for this system. How does this sound.

Thanks for the links... I´ll have to read some more about LF but I´m exited.

Im not quite sure, still, if this means that I can't use the optics that come along with the camera or if they can be used but with limitations?

Best

Kim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had a III and found the movement of the front standard (where your lens is mounted onto) not that easy for increasing the depth of field. It can only be moved (top) towards the lens. The can be done by further tilting the base but requires more work. The IV and higher have a better way to do this.
    Mostly i shoot pics with adjusting levels where the front should be moved (top) from the lens to adjust the

this is what i need

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for it. I came up with $750+ in my head. The lenses will be fine. The 90 won't have a lot of movement but should have enough. The 240 is a Tele-Xenar, a good lens. Don't worry about the cam, you'll be using the ground glass to focus. And, it has a Graflok back - a bonus! I have 2 IIIs and I would jump on this deal in a minute. Willie, why didn't you use the back movements? Same effect and much easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a very good price if its in good condition.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    back movements are very limited.
    I now use a wooden shen hao, it's 1 kilo lighter has much more movements and is new as expensive as the 2nd hand technika III. But the technika is more rigid when you want to throw with it

I also used the angulon 90, indeed not much to move with this lens, and i did not like the quality of the image. I prefer modern lenses in copal. But that's my opinion.

Don't buy it because it's a technika. All 4x5's have pros and cons. The most important thing is the photographer and it's creativity.

And check out which version if the III it is. I would prefer model 5.
    Last edited by Willie Jan; 09-10-2010 at 01:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know very little about Linhoff cameras but the tripod alone would fetch good money over here in the UK.
    For the price you're quoting on the whole outfit it sounds pretty good to me.

Bill
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will buy this not because it's a linhof but because it very rare to find LF at this price in my home time. I am also buying because I need 4x5 for a project. To me cameras are tools and depending on what Ive set my mind on doing, different tools are required.

How do I know what version of the camera we are talking about here? Can it by any means be spotted in the pictures?

Best,

Kim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin