Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,944   Online: 908

Shooter
    8x10 Format

35mm Roll Film Adapters?

I am looking to do some projects which will require a 35mm roll film holder on my 4x5 camera. I cannot find one anywhere. A google search doesn't pull much up either. I often do cross format film tests and require the film plane to match the ground glass, so a simple t-mount for a 35mm camera won't do. I see there are 35mm film holders for some medium format cameras, but I can't seem to find plain graflok plates for the brands that offer the holder. Anyone know of anything I could use or adapt before looking at having something made?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you considered taping (drawing or masking tape - not Sellotape) strips of 35mm film to a sacrificial DDS.

With a positioning jig, you could have a fairly accurate idea of its location on the GG

Just a thought

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always cut a 120 spool into pieces. Sticking the ends into the 35mm Roll.
    This always works only in one direction, for the other way you need a changing bag or a darkroom.

Add some marks to the groundglass before you proceed the film to the first position. Don't expect to much precision of this mechanism.

rudi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi greg

i had one of those 35mm adapters for a while.
    they were for a recommar 33 and went by the
    name " recommar kodachrome adapter "

you will have to have a board made to fit in the back of your camera
    drill a hole in it and glue the adapter to the board ..

it is very strange looking at a 35mm ground glass ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi greg

i had one of those 35mm adapters for a while.
    they were for a recommar 33 and went by the
    name " recommar kodachrome adapter "

you will have to have a board made to fit in the back of your camera
    drill a hole in it and glue the adapter to the board ..

it is very strange looking at a 35mm ground glass ...
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have two. One for Bantam film, and the other for 35mm. I ended up with the Bantam one by accident. Since 828 is gone, and that of it that does exist is too expensive to make it worth using, it is useless, even though it is in better shape than the 35mm one. I may end up cannibalizing it to spiff up the 35mm back.

As John sez, you need to attach the back to a lens board or something similar in order to mount it to the camera. They were made to fit a specific camera, which was not a standard size like a 4x5 Graflok. Here is a tiny bit of info about the camera: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Kodak_Recomar_33.

Be aware that large format lenses will probably leave you less than impressed upon significant enlargement.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-14-2010 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    on ebay you could buy a chinese 35mm camera to 4x5 graflok adapter, and focus by the reflex mirror.
    I think it would work better attaching a complete 35mm camera, because 35mm would be very small on a ground glass.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterdamMartin View Post
    on ebay you could buy a chinese 35mm camera to 4x5 graflok adapter, and focus by the reflex mirror.
    I think it would work better attaching a complete 35mm camera, because 35mm would be very small on a ground glass.
    One way of doing this for most view cameras is to mount a T-mount adaptor to the view camera back. This permits a variety of 35mm cameras to be used. The mount from an old lens or tele-extender could also be used.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for all the replies. I am well aware of using a MF roll back and t-mount adapters, etc. What I need is something that gives a standard 35mm framed image but places the film up front so focusing would be on the GG rather than the 35mm viewfinder. I don't think there is one so I will have to fudge something together.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi John,

Here a link of an ebay shop from China. They provide one for every brand.
    Those Chinese have all kinds of unusual adapters

http://shop.ebay.nl/buyitjnow/m.html...&_trksid=p3686

Greetings, Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin