Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,718   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone using a Shen Hao 5x7??

Hi,

I am very interested in replacing my current (superb but inflexible) 5x4 for 4 reasons:

1. I can enlarge 5x7 on my Durst 138 Colour...so why not use a bigger neg?
    2. I want longer bellows than my RSW45 has (203 ektar requires top hat lens panel), so why not get a 5x7 not a 5x4 whilst at it. I no longer shoot rollfilm, so no need to worry about using my 47 S Angulon, which I have sold.
    3. In buying lenses that cover my 10x8 (which only has a 300mm F9 geronar so far ), they will cover the 5x7 without being overkill. This can be financed by selling the 5x4 kit
    4. I can always use a reding back for 5x4 trannies on the 5x7.

The Shen Hao 5x7 appears superb value and I have heard good things, however, I would like to hear from someone who has a good working knowledge. I would not expect the perfection that is my Ebony, but would expect solid construction, ease of use, smoothness and flexibility. Can anyone comment on these general points ut also some specifics:

1. The use of short lenses. I would need to be able to use short lenses ie 65mm on 5x4 (with reducing back) for architecture on trannies. Is this going to be workable on the shen hao 5x7. I would not go any shorter than 65mm.

2. What is stability like with long lenses and how long can you go?

3. What weaknesses does the camera have?

Could you compare it to anything alse on the market. How does it compare to a Wista for example/

Any help with this would be a great.

Tom

Images
    I can't comment on the camera itself, but make sure that you will be able to get the film you want in 5x7 format. With larger manufacturers discontinuing emultions all the time, you can bet that 5x7 film will be on their list of cut backs. Although if you are using the film from J&C / others, this shouldnt be a problem.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will only use B&W on 5x7 (5x4 reducer for colour) and will use FP4plus, but mostly Efle PL100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Hi,

The Shen Hao 5x7 appears superb value and I have heard good things, however, I would like to hear from someone who has a good working knowledge. I would not expect the perfection that is my Ebony, but would expect solid construction, ease of use, smoothness and flexibility. Can anyone comment on these general points ut also some specifics:

Tom
    Tom,

I am using a 5X7 Shen Hao that I purchased directly from China.

Here are my thoughts.

It is an outstanding camera, similar in design to the Ebony. It is not as smooth as an Ebony but it is pretty smooth and well made. I don't know if it will focus a 65mm lens or not because the shortest one I have is 90mm. Maybe that information is on the web site?

Stability is a real strong point of this camera. Even with the front and back track fully extended, which gives about 600mm of bellows draw, the camera is rock solid and very well balanced.

The only negative thing I can say about the camera is that it is heavy by comparison to some other 5X7 cameras. But then, the only camera that I have seen that can compare to it in terms of stabillity and rigidity is the Ebony, so the extra weight is functional.

I looked carefully at a 5X7 Tachihara before deciding to buy the Shen Hao and in my estimation the Shen Hao offers more for the money.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is kind of the same question I've been throwing about for a while. I have an Horseman 450 which is a monster. In the studio it is great. For architectual work it is great. But I am done with that stuff. (almost) A nice small compact land camera would make it easier for the stuff I'm interested in doing now. The Shen Hoa is what I've been considering (because it is cheep) almost bought one but got talked out of it. So is there another choice available? maybe one with cherrywood? that is around the same price as the Shen Hoa.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Isn't the Shen-Hao teak? I'd think that would be perfect for your climate, Tom, with the occasional beach shoot and such. It's more weight, but also more resistant to moisture and humidity.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Isn't the Shen-Hao teak? I'd think that would be perfect for your climate, Tom, with the occasional beach shoot and such. It's more weight, but also more resistant to moisture and humidity.
    Yes, the Shen-Hao 5X7 is teak, which is a very stable wood and also very resistant to moisture and humidity. You see it often in the bright work of sailboats, which should say a lot about its resistance to the elements.

And the metal parts of the Shen-Hao 5X7 are from titanium steel, much more desirable than plated bronze in my opinion.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to know whether the 4x5 reducing back for the Shen-Hao 5x7 accepts Graflok rollfilm backs. I've sent an email to China, but received no reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    I'd like to know whether the 4x5 reducing back for the Shen-Hao 5x7 accepts Graflok rollfilm backs. I've sent an email to China, but received no reply.
    Try Jeff at Badger Graphics, US distributor in Wisconsin, knowledgable and helpfull - www.badgergraphic.com
    I bought my 4x5 Shen-Hao from him (as have others at APUG) and would recommend his price/service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    I don't know about the Shen-Hao 4x5 reducing back, but the regular 4x5 back on my 4x5 Shen-Hao accepts Graflock type rollfilm backs - no problem.

I use a Linhof rollfilm back, 2 Wista rollfilm backs, a Horseman roll film back and my Shen-Hao 6 x 12 rollfilm back on my 4x5 Shen-Hao.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin