Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,438   Online: 898

rear asymmetrical tilt

I am thinking of building a 5 x 4 camera with rear asymmetrical tilt. This will be based round a 90mm lens, and be used for photographing the landcape, where I have often found it useful to use tilt to get the near/far aspects in sharp focus.

I have two questions.
    1. Does asymmetrical rear tilt offer any real advantage over, say, front centre tilt (which would be somewhat easier to build)
    2. The Ebony camera with this feature has the pivoting axis about a third of the way up the ground glass when viewed from the rear, I think. I am thinking of placing it about two thirds of the way up, for reasons of rigidity. Would it still work in this position? i.e. focus first on foreground then tilt the back until the background comes into focus.
    Viewed from the side, the pivoting axis will, of course, be on the film plane.

Alan

Shooter
    35mm
    The point of asymmetrical tilt (or shift) is that you focus on the tilt axis and then do not have to refocus as you tilt or shift the the other part in focus. The advantage over front-T/S would be most obvious if your motive and focus point is near your T/S-axis, then you focus at your T/S-axis and do not have to refocus when you bring the rest into acceptable focus. I guess the advantage is most dependent on how you work and what you feel comfortable with. I guess it would be better to compare symmetrical to asymmetrical on the same standard, not comparing front and back since it becomes a little pear and apples.
    Last edited by steelneck; 09-16-2010 at 09:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

With respect to where the tilt axis 'should' be on the rear, the best way to find out for yourself would be to rent a Horseman with variable tilt axis and try setting the axis at different locations. Then build your camera to match the position you liked best.

Thanks for the advice guys. The diagrams have made me realise how I can have more than one axis without altering the design I have in mind - just by drilling a few more holes.

Alan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin