Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,164   Online: 975

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb

.... Put out a good magazine, be generous with your knowledge by participating in the forums, and subscribers will follow.
    There is also one very significant difference between all of the examples of people that you mention, and the posts that I have read from Mr Simmons. And I think it is the reason a few people have been rather irritated. That is, none the people you mention are attemting to directly snaffle membership attention away from the host of Mr Simmons posts APUG, to their own forum.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Put out a good magazine, be generous with your knowledge by participating in the forums, and subscribers will follow.
    I couldn't agree more.

View Camera is a very good magazine. But Steve's spamming does only one thing: preventing me from buying VC.

Gilbert
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I like the work you do with the two magazines, and I know this is unsolicited advice...
    Once again, the voice of reason is found in the guise of Mr. Goldfarb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great Post David, I agree 100%.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't own a large format camera, i have never seen view camera magazine but i have always been amazed by the crass opportunism of your posts Steve. I hope you are having a very good read of David's advice and you take it in the spirit it is intended.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here Here Mr. Goldfarb! Well spoken!
    Checked out Mr. Simmons site once, haven't been back.
    Les has a book? :o Can I still get it?
    Funny how I would spend way more on one book than on a subscription for a series of a magazine. Must be something about the authors I guess.
    There are too many people on the Internet who need Mr Goldfarb's thread applied... with a hammer. Perhaps this should be in the "ethics" forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks dave -

very well stated!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

marketing 101: what NOT to do to

I tried the friendly advice route once. I don't have high hopes for a sudden epiphany of good taste and business sense but we shall see.

Matt

Images
    David,

that was a well intentioned post and was full of great advice. Too bad it has fallen on deaf eyes. Or eyes that belong to a brain that does not care. I think this is where Sean should step in like QT did and erase the thread, with a warning to the initial poster.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has any of the outspoken actually verified whether there is a good lens discussion (if there can actually be such an animal) going on?

It would seem to me that certain individuals will take exception to anything and everything Mr. Simmons has to say, which leads me to two conclusions:
    1. he must have very thick skin, and
    2. discretion truly is the better part of valor.

The internet is certainly diverse enough to accommodate multiple fora for discussion. We need not be threatened by that, and last I checked no one is holding anyone's feet to the fire to stay here or peruse discussions elsewhere.

As for "stealing membership": that's your decision, not Steve's. I'm not sure I completely understand the misdirected ire, which leads me to a quote by Benjamin Franklin:

"Tis better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought the fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Advice that AFTER this message I'll be sure to follow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin