Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,327   Online: 875

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Theres a commercial offroad solution:

http://www.sherpacart.com/
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is a solution I have used. Albeit with a larger dog.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey robert, i do have a 4 year old German Shepard..but the damn thing wouldn't stop jumping around

That Sherpa Cart looks very nice but for $200 i would have to spend on it i could buy whole lot of film..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz, look at that address on the Sherpa Cart! Let me know if a "gift" is in order on this one. Quido.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope to condition my young boys into thinking that following their old man around carrying his kit is a privalege. They are tiny and not out of nappies yet, so I have plenty of time to work on them......Their fitness regime has already started....they won't even know the 8x10 is there! They're gonna feel so lucky!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    haha Tim, I can't thank you enough for your help.. How are you liking the film?
    I was hanging out with Andrew O'neill here he told me that you sent him a 4x5 azo sample too. very cool

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Deniz

Deniz, Francisco makes a good point, a grocery cart is limited. I can offer from experience what does work well over very rough terrain and that is a bicycle trailer (bugger) with a handle bar. Keep your eye out for one that is used with good wheels. Many different models are manufactured, but only those which are the lightest are suitable. 20 inch diameter inflated tires will roll over medium size cobbles and boulders with little effort. If you need to haul up over larger boulders, the rig will remain stable and roll, unlike the grocery cart which offers only its wire face to rock face. See if you can borrow one from a cycling friend. Get a bit of static (non-stretch) climbing rope and a couple of jammers. Go to a climbing shop and they will show you how to use the jammers to haul that cart efficiently over obstructions. Go to an Army surplus store and look for an old aluminum electronic packing case (waterproof). The Navy and Airforce had such cases for all sorts of technical gear. You should be able to find one large enough to accommodate everything except your tripod. Bolt that to the cart and you are in business. Plus, you have something to sit on when you get tired. Just a thought. Regards, David.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    What do you do if you need to haul it up a rock face? I love your idea but I find it limited to flat or nearly flat locations. Most of my nature shots are deep in the forest where there is no laid out path but uneven terrain OR where I need to do some rock climbing. Eventually one needs to look into a four-wheel drive version of this. On the other hand, yours spine is more important than any ground breaking photo op.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If i had the funds to buy a bike trailer, i would spend a little more and get a nice lowepro backpack..

As i said i will backpack with this stuff if i have to(rough terrain and hiking in the forecast) but otherwise i will be pushing/pulling my granny cart to whereever i take my 8x10 to

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Deniz, you might also look for a stroller/jogger at a garage sale. They generally have 3 large tires which can handle off-road terrain nicely. The seat for the kid is just right size for a camera pack. And they often have a mesh pocket in the back for water, snacks, whatever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Taking my 2 year old son out shooting with me can be a bit of a pain sometimes, as he doesn't have the patience to sit with me while I fiddle about with my gear. There is one advantage though. I can stuff all my gear in his stroller, which makes it much easier to haul around. The stroller we have wasn't intended for unpaved paths but I find I can easily tip it and pull it when needed and light enough to pick up the entire thing and haul it over rougher terrain. Granted, I haven't tried hauling it up any real steep terrain but and it's a nightmare job pushing it through uneven terrain if my son gets tired (but it helps keep me in shape).

I'm waiting for him to get old enough to join me in my love of photography ... so that he of course can help carry some of my gear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin