Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,545   Online: 885

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Burn that backpack

Me and my in-pain spine decided to stop hauling around my 8x10 camera so we looked for some alternative ways to accomplish this task.

I was out photographing with my friend Andrew O'Neill last week and my 8x10 tachihara+6 holders+ann the extras+my massive surveyors tripod felt heavier and heavier by everyminute i spent walking. At the end of the day i sat on the sidewalk and asked god to take me..

So i went on a quest to carry all that equipment around.. the answer started in cnd tire and the california innovations cooler that holds my 8x10 tachihara+6holders+darkcloth perfect. Then i went in to my shed and dug out an old granny cart and cleaned it up and painted it. the result is in the pictures. My tripod mounts on it perfect and my back is laughing.
    I also put in my old shoulder bag that carries my 2 lenses + filters+light meter and some other extras. the front hand bag has my spare film and storage film box.i made a baseplate for the cart from cardboard and covered it with red fabric. and i also have my fuji film sponsored cushion.

I will never backpack with this gear unless i really have to.

have a nice day all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Resize of Rotation of DSC_1234.JPG  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What do you do if you need to haul it up a rock face? I love your idea but I find it limited to flat or nearly flat locations. Most of my nature shots are deep in the forest where there is no laid out path but uneven terrain OR where I need to do some rock climbing. Eventually one needs to look into a four-wheel drive version of this. On the other hand, yours spine is more important than any ground breaking photo op.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry my entire 8x10 kit in (and attached to) a Kelty internal frame back pack. The entire kit with camera, accessories, 3 lenses, 4 film holders and my tripod/ballhead, weighs 23 pounds. A lighter option is one film holder, one lens, a box of film and my changing bag. In either case, everything but the tripod/ballhead fits inside the pack.

My back is happy. If I need to do any rock climbing, I take the pack off and haul it up with a rope.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pull-type golf cart.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I forgot to tell that my back is injured pretty bad. Been going to the chiroproctor regularly. so backpacking with my 30lbs+ gear is not a pleasent experience for me.
    Appearently i was born with an incomplete vertabrea so it causes way too much stress on my back muscles and nerves.
    So as i said unless i have to backpack to get to the location i will drag my granny cart along..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz, if you are having back trouble at such an early age, then stop doing the heavy lifting and packing. You're too young to have this type of problem! Do the exercises you need to strengthen the muscles around the area which is causing you trouble. Keep active, but give it a rest until things get better. The cart looks like a great idea and will help your shooting. You can't work on a shot if you are hurting badly. Your body is a lot tougher than you can imagine, but you have to keep it running well if you want to take good pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks Tim.
    I am 21 and I've been hiking and camping with heavy gear since i was 9. at 10 i hiked up one of the toughest mountains in Turkey with my dad. and since 16 i've been professionally competing in BMX-freestyle championships. I know i did put my body through alot with all the sports i've bben doing. chiropractor visits seemed to help a bit but last month i was wakeboarding and the back pain was just un bearable.I am trying to do my stretches and Tai-chi regularly to keep my body and mind in shape.

I am excited about this Cart idea.. I can backpack my 4x5 no problem but 8x10 is just too heavy for my back(maybe if i had a great backpack it wouldnt be so bad.)

It's way too hot here right now.. I am staying under the AC all day...

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, I like the cart! But you need to call those people on that TV show "Pimp my Ride" to see if they can soup it up a wee bit for you! Maybe some off-road tires and mag wheels. A little gas shock suspension. Some flames...
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Deniz, it sounds like we have a similar back problem (spondylolisthesis in my case). You should be sure that the backpack you use isn't putting the weight on your shoulders. The weight should rest on your hips using a well-adjusted waist strap, ideally with a lumbar support, and the shoulder straps should just keep the pack upright. A sternum strap also can help. A pack like the Kelty pack or Jansport external frame pack or a modern internal frame pack (Lowe and others) will do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good on ya Deniz. Take care of that back, you only get one, and it's gotta last a while yet. Also, don't know about you but I find that I take better photos if I'm relaxed (and not in excruciating pain).
    A few yrs ago I was pretty active like yourself and I hated taking the time to do the recommended back exercises. But actually they do work.

Also David's was v good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    ... The weight should rest on your hips using a well-adjusted waist strap, ideally with a lumbar support, and the shoulder straps should just keep the pack upright. A sternum strap also can help. ....
    Like the cart. Get some off road rubber on those puppies and you're cooking .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin