Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,149   Online: 985

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fine scratches on 4x5 film

Hi all. I'm new to 4x5, and I have a question. For practice, I sacrificed a sheet of film to make sure I was getting a handle on the loading process for film backs, and I noticed upon removing the sheet that there are very fine scratches on the rear of the sheet (non-emulsion side). I would think that these would be inconsequential, and I would not see them except under very extreme enlargement. I just want to make sure I'm not botching sheets before I even shoot and develop. I'm very careful when loading, and I make sure that the sheet does not touch the bottom flap of the film back. There is no debris in the holder or on the film. As I said, they're very fine scratches, just a curiosity. Thank you!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fairly normal to pick up light non gouging surface scratches during the film handling process. They won't cause an issue.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To minimize this, be sure to clean out holders before loading, every time. Some use a brush, some a vacuum cleaner or compressed air. I like to shoot some compressed air through the felt light trap. By compressed air, I mean canned, not from a compressor - unless the air from the compressor is absolutely oil and moisture free.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin