Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,216   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY cheap camera case

One problem that keeps me from going out and doing more shooting is the lack of a good easily portable case. Since I'm too cheap to go out an buy one, I decided to build one. And then another. And soon to be yet a third...

I live near the unclaimed baggage outlet in Scottsboro, AL, so I was able to pick up a few boxy-style carry-on size suit cases for $11 each. I used double-wall cardboard, foam packing material from work, and cloth from the local fabric store. Here is the result.

The one on the left has my Shen-Hao and the one on the right has my RB67. Both have velcro straps to hold the tripod on the front. The third one will be for 35mm equipment.

The straight sides on the case allowed me to build the structure and then install it in the case after it was done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea. I think I'm going to check any local unclaimed baggage out let near me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice job! Wish that baggage center was up here in Michigan.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Great idea. It never occurred to me to modify a carry-on style bag to use with my Chamonix 045N-2 like what you have done for your Shen Hao. What I have done is to repurpose an Igloo-brand nylon lunch box as a field case. The Chammy fits nicely and there are a couple of pockets on the outside for various small stuff.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, Steve. Can you post a picture of it? I looked at a number of tool boxes at Home Depot and Lowes. Some of those could be very useful as a camera case and they were quite cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good work. I had a similar idea, and I have raided the local thrift shops for some good suitcases. I got a few Samsonite cases that will do the trick, and even found a black Haliburton case that needs some repairs. Now all I need is the foam.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a picture that shows the cardboard structure with the foam padding before I covered it with fabric. The fabric is attached with fabric glue. In some places I only used a couple layers of terrycloth for the padding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2F/2F,

When bought the fabric, I noticed the store carried a lot of foam and fiber batting (like used in quilts and upholstery) which could also be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What A great idea! At first I thought, who needs that, I have a car (at least my wife has), I have a few leftover camerabags that are pressed into service, carrying todays camera to the car, then they sit next to me, out hunting....

Then it all dawned on me, everybody and my MD says I should excercise. The smart thing then is having a purpose. Since I usually cannot bring more than one camera with me while walking, that is a turn-down.

But this is the solution, and a road to better health, which in turn is a road to better pictures!

Save for hiking trips to the log cabin, a suitcase like that can be aesily transported most places people WALK with ease. Only the imaginations limits this!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And of course you can cut multiple foam dividers for different camera systems. Just make sure to use good quality upholstery or electronics foam.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin