Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,544   Online: 858

Shooter
    Large Format

Kodak Aero Ektar f2.5 308mmDoes anyone have information about th

Does anyone have information about the "Kodak Ektar f2.5 308mm ?
    Have the lens the same quality like the f2.5 178mm ?
    From which time comes the lens ?
    etcetc :-)

Regards Artur

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first Aero Ektars (including your 12" lens) are from WWII. The patend was filed just before the USA were declared war.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bildermacher ,

There is no reason for quality difference. 178 mm is one of the best lenses I have ever seen. I saw several examples of pentax middle format cameras attached to aero ektars. They are extremelly heavy but there is great bokeh , colors , anatomic quality and the glow.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/aero/
    Above listed sites and newspaper reading woman photograph will inspire you to use your lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsevilla/3534086429/

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelbr...aeroektar.html

If you have a taste to these examples , You will never able to find a match to Aero Ektars.
    I strongly advise you to starting using your lens. Read the pages , Kodak was the number one glass researcher at this time range and I think you cant find any lens to little bit closer to this engineering level.
    Its like buying a forgotten 1966 Cadillac Open Top from the junkyard which works like todays Rolls Royce.

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Large Format
    ...many many thanks Mustafa !!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. Keep us posted with your photographs Artur .

Best ,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Per USAF data sheets, the 12"/2.5 Aero Ektar covers 9"x9", weighs 12 pounds, has around 8" back focus. The design is a variation on the classic 6/4 double Gauss,with the rear meniscus replaced by a cemented doublet. Not that sharp wide open, 25 lp/mm centrally and 10 in the corners. Not a mapping lens, maximum distortion is 1.5 mm; wide open and in the corners, I think.

My USAF data sheets don't give quite the same detail on the 7"/2.5 Aero Ektar, do report the same resolution wide open.

I'm astonished by Mustafa's positive comments on the 7 incher. It has often been vilified as not sharp enough to be usable on 35 mm. Perhaps not all examples are as good as possible.

Note that neither of these lenses goes into a conventional shutter.

WW-II era designs, in use for years after the war.

Shooter
    Large Format
    wow...thanks dan for so many cool information !...regards artur

Shooter
    Large Format
    PS: I think for many users today, the "bokeh" is interesting ... and the lens is normally used for the infinity ... I saw pictures on Google they are brilliant ... for portrait with a strange swirley background ... or landscapes and stils with a minimum dof ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Policar, USAF says that the 150/2.8 Xenotar resolves 72 lp/mm centrally, 33 in the corners wide open. 780 g in barrel, 108 mm back focus.

Sorry, no information on the mythical 210 Xenotar. IIRC, only five (5) examples of that lens were made.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin