Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,561   Online: 912

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    rob, so the shenhao 4x10 is the same price as their 8x10?!?
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm RF

4x10

Rob

I've been using a home built 4x10 back on a Zone Vi 4x5 body. I've been using a rotary paper cutter with usable results. I purchased some Ebay 4x10 carriers from HK, but found that the outside dimensions were about a 1/16th inch out of square. These were just 8x10 holders chopped down.

Zone VI 4x10 build thread

My goal is to step up to 7x17, but that looks like a 2011 diy project.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes David, the two cameras are the same price.

The 4x10 is what I would call a classic design. Focus knobs on both sides and the camera folds down.

The 8x10 is a more modern designed.... copied from the Richard's cameras with one focus knob in the very back.

ShenHao cameras in the classic design are more expensive models than the newer design. However they only offer the 4x10 in this more expensive design.... and no longer make the 8x10 in this style.

I feel I would enjoy the classic style more.... but that's just because it's what I'm used to and I don't really like change.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One thing to consider is that, even if you prefer the traditional design, Ritter's 8x10 design would be very close to the weight of a 4x10 traditional wood folding camera. The weight of the holders on a per 4x10 image basis is less using 8x10 holders than 4x10 holders (assuming two 4x10 images/8x10 sheet, and the same construction and type of materials of the holders.)

So for less weight you get the ease of vertical 4x10 shots, and an 8x10 camera, too.

Have fun deciding!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I enjoy the 4x10 and have used several by different manufacturers. I'm currently using a Chamonix, which I like best because it's small, compact, and lightweight.

The biggest downside of 4x10 is that it's petty small for contact printing. I'm now enlarging 4x10s to about 7x17.

Ilford makes FP4 and HP5 in 5x10 annually. For other films, you'll probably need to plan to cut down 8x10 film. It's not difficult; you just have to organize how you do it very carefully.

I use the 165mm Angulon most frequently, and a 240mm second most frequently.

You might consider getting a 4x10 back for your 8x10 to try it out. Another footnote: The Shen Hao is a nice camera, but it larger and heavier than some 4x10s.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I'm in the market for a new camera. Right now I have an 8x10 but am getting a new one. I'm considering getting an 4x10 instead of an 8x10.

If you shoot with a 4x10 please chirp in.

Are you glad you bought it, instead of 8x10?

Issues finding film?

Which lens do you use the most?

Overall are you glad you did it?

-Rob
    Keith Pitman
    Photographer
    www.keithpitman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Rob

Kerry Thalmann is the man, if not one of them for varied discussions on 4x10 cameras. From memory, it's a format that he's very fond of, he wrote a succession of articles in VC mag a few/some years ago, not only on suitable cameras for the format but also on lenses and filmholders

hope this helps

andrew

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just ordered the ShenHao 4x10 camera with a few holders and also the 5x7 back and a couple holders. I hope to have it working in a couple weeks.

-rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mac View Post
    Rob

I've been using a home built 4x10 back on a Zone Vi 4x5 body. I've been using a rotary paper cutter with usable results. I purchased some Ebay 4x10 carriers from HK, but found that the outside dimensions were about a 1/16th inch out of square. These were just 8x10 holders chopped down.

Zone VI 4x10 build thread

My goal is to step up to 7x17, but that looks like a 2011 diy project.

Eric

that's a great conversion Eric - any possibility of posting some photos that you've taken with it?

andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a shen 4x10 that I like very much, though I am not using it much of late. The special thing about my rig is that I also have a 5x7 and a *5x8* back for it. I was using the latter with 5" aerial panatomic x film, which I have a lot of.

Regarding film, that is easy, I just slice 8x10 in my film changing tent.

4x10 is a very nice format, though honestly I haven't been using it as much as the 5x8. I need to get back to 4x10 but it's a mood that comes and goes!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin