Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,453   Online: 1169

Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6 or Fujinon-W 210mm f/5.6?

Hi all. I have the opportunity to buy one of the aforementioned lenses. Both are rated as Mint- condition with caps in a Copal 1 shutter, for the same price of $295. My question is simply regarding optical quality, and the benefits and drawbacks, if any. I'm relatively new to 4x5, and I have little experience with either maker. Opinions are much appreciated! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its a toss up for 4x5. If you can get the Fujinon with the writing on the front of the lens retaining ring (rather than around the barrel) it is an excellent lens for 8x10 also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Symmar-S; it is spectacular of course. I'd expect the Fujinon is equally good. I got the Schneider because it was the first, I found at a price that suited me, not because I wanted it over a Fuji/Rodenstock/Nikon offering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference, I think, is one of "flavor" rather than quality. I find that German lenses simply give a different look from Japanese lenses. You can speak of contrast, edge effect, acutance, sharpness - whatever you want, you will find people who will disagree, regardless of technical data. What it comes down to in the end, given equal shutters and condition, is what you like. I don't think you will go wrong with either lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin