Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 742

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Success Report: -

The shutter: 4 inch opening (7.5 inch housing) #6 Packard.

The rubber bulb: total inside volume = 40 ml (it is for a blood pressure measuring device, and I guess it is smaller than the genuine Packard one). Price: US$ 3.00.

The tubing: 5 mm inside diameter, 7 mm outside diameter, 1 mm wall thickness black silicone rubber. Price (from a medical supplier): US$ 2.68 per meter (= US$ 0.82 per foot).

Tubing length: 46 meters (151 feet).

Tube inside volume = 900 ml (yes 22.5 times the volume of the bulb - which of course does not give out ALL the air when pressed!).

THE PACKARD WORKS.

In the BULB mode, it opens and closes perfectly (though somewhat slower then via the standard 4 feet tubing).

The shutter's instantaneous mode is not available as it requires MUCH more pressure. With the instantaneous mode pin inserted, the shutter just works the same way as on "B". That suits me, as I don't want short exposures usually.

So, glory to the 19th century engineering masterpiece named Packard. No messing with batteries needed! I only wish my computer was THAT reliable....

P.S.: Tried the Intex® Bellows Air Pump (see the e-bay link above). Surely a real pump should work.... but this Chinese beach toy does NOT. To close the Packard, I had to take the would-be footpump (set to deflating) in both hands and pull it really hard and fast. The usual rubber bulb is much much better....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Woo-Hoo!

Good report. I was actually wondering about this recently.

Thanks for the details, too.

Michael
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I forgot to mention I'm also able to operate the 46-meters-far-away Packard comfortably enough without any bulb at all, by just putting the tube end into my mouth. And no, I am not a diver nor an opera singer - nothing above average really....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin