Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,034   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Erko 9x12cm folding camera

I bought this morning an Erko 'Freital' folding camera
    includes 3 film or glass holders, there is also a groundglass(?)with holder. Shutter & speed are working smoothly; mayby not correct,
    but who cares with a camera from......(1929)?
    No lightleaks I think. I've no experience with film this size or glass negatives. This all the info I have. Is there anybody out there who can help me with some information ?

thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77846450@N00/5123593548/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plate holders need film inserts which are standard, (like the plate size) but hard to find, unfortunately plate holders themselves aren't standard so you need to be careful to get the right type (edge fit/length etc) if you want more.

Film's easy to get in Europe, an APUG sponsor Fomafoto in Norway is a good source of 9x12 Foma films, Fotoimpex (Adox) is another.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful camera!

This discussion might lend some help with regards to film size... http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=63589

You could probably try to use 4x5" film, maybe trimmed a bit in the dark beforehand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's one of the large family of plate cameras in this size. The holders may have sheaths in them to hold film; if not, the sheaths can be found or made. From the picture, it looks like the camera is in good shape and might make a fine shooter.

As far as I know, the only 9x12 films in regular production are Efke 100 and Fomapan 100; Efke 100 is available from Freestyle. I suppose you could cut down 4x5, but precision cutting in total darkness sounds like a pain in the neck. Plates are essentially no longer made; they sometimes turn up on eBay, but their usability is a crapshoot. That said, it's kind of fun to shoot them and find out what happens. Rollfilm backs for shooting 120 (usually 6x9) in these cameras also exist but are kind of expensive.

Once you have the film, it functions like a fairly normal large-format camera: compose and focus on the ground glass, CLOSE THE SHUTTER, take the ground glass out and put the film holder in, STOP DOWN THE LENS, pull the darkslide, shoot, REINSERT THE DARKSLIDE, remove the holder. (The steps in caps are the ones you will inevitably forget some of the time.)

Freital seems to be the city in which Erko was based; from what I'm seeing in Google, the lens seems most likely to be a Selar, which apparently is a four-element symmetrical anastigmat like the Voigtlaender Eurynar (see http://forum.mflenses.com/unknown-be...ra-t32450.html, which has some analysis of a similar camera with this lens). It's not clear to me if Erkos made the camera or just the lens.

I really like these prewar plate cameras---they're very compact and a simple point of entry to the highly addictive large-format world. Enjoy it!

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 10-28-2010 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo fix
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ilford Delta 100, FP4 and HP5 is also available in 9x12 sizes. At least in Europe.

Really nice little camera. Wanna sell it?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most companies make 9x12 film as it's still a Continental European standard, so Ilford (B&W) & Fuji (colour) films are readily available in Europe as well as some Kodak.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks all.
    ntenny: thanks for the step by step ! Film is what I need now.
    Jerevan: I think I got lucky today: bought this (including a brass tripod) in a second hand shop for E 22.50 ! What shall I do ;0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Most companies make 9x12 film as it's still a Continental European standard, so Ilford (B&W) & Fuji (colour) films are readily available in Europe as well as some Kodak.
    I stand corrected (and I now realise the original poster is probably in Europe). I'd thought Ilford only did it during their ULF runs, but I see that it's normal stock at fotoimpex.de...albeit expensive!

Who sells the colour film? I'd love to be able to shoot 9x12 chromes (assuming I can find someone to develop them).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The cylinder is part of the shutter, where the air piston goes. The red dot looks like a bubble level. Move the little prism thingy and you'll see what happens.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin