Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,899   Online: 1267

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom, i really like that lens sock idea.. but i would think it would only work with big lenses since there isn't much surface on the small ones to put the sock onto.. hey with a lens that big, DENIZ shutter doesn't work..
    so there.. we should combine our ideas and make shutterland co.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice solutions to the problem all the way around.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    Tom, i really like that lens sock idea.. but i would think it would only work with big lenses since there isn't much surface on the small ones to put the sock onto.. hey with a lens that big, DENIZ shutter doesn't work..
    so there.. we should combine our ideas and make shutterland co.
    Excellent point, Deniz. Works for me!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of articles on my website about mounting Packard shutters. This article shows how I made a box lensboard so I didn't have to cut a hole in my Eastman #2 to use a 14" R.D. Artar with a Packard.

This article explains how I front-mount Packards. I use the front mount method for several different process lenses on my Toyo 4X5 monorail cameras.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Tom
    I love those sock "inventions"
    I for one would be willing to pay a few well earned dollars for a couple of those.

Very sharp idea and ingenius.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    John,
    We use dark slides, Bowler Hats, Caps, Lens Socks (my personal favorite), DENIZ Shutters and Packard shutters....
    My personal favorite is shortened frozen orange juice can, painted flat black.

Don't forget that you can use the "lens-cap-shutter" for in-camera dodging. If the sky is a little bright, remove the cap a little more slowly from the top and replace it from the top. Reflection off the water? Remove from the bottom and replace from the bottom. What SKGrimes shutter lets you do that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    My personal favorite is shortened frozen orange juice can, painted flat black.

Don't forget that you can use the "lens-cap-shutter" for in-camera dodging. If the sky is a little bright, remove the cap a little more slowly from the top and replace it from the top. Reflection off the water? Remove from the bottom and replace from the bottom. What SKGrimes shutter lets you do that?
    Actually, you can do "in-camera dodging" a million times more accurate and better with the Deniz Shutter.. it basically acts as a neutral density filter.. i am going to the mountains in an hour i will test the shutter to its limits..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's a suggestion for an easy improvement on the "Deniz" shutter.
    Cut a slit in your slide that can basically scan across the face of your lens. Then trim the slide so that it will free fall. You will probably have to come up with a simple catch while it is in the up position.

With the slide in the up position, the bottom part should cover the lens, drop the slide so it swipes across the lens exposing the film, and when it comes to rest the top part of the slide is covering your lens again.

To further improve it, put a rubber band on the slide to pull it down. You'll get fast shutter speeds. Play around with various slit sizes too. I know for certain you could get speeds close to 1/1000 sec using this technique.

There are a couple of examples of this type shutter here:
    http://www.cwriley.com/Photica/drop_shutters.htm

Cheers,
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    i am going to the mountains in an hour i will test the shutter to its limits..
    Any results yet? What mountains?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Bill, great link. I'm working on a shutter for my 14 1/2" Wollensak Verito that is very similar to the "butterfly" shutter. I'm incorporating mine into a lens shade. Love these DIY projects!
    Thanks,
    I got side tracked from my camera collection when I became interested in "Alternative Shutter Styles." I'm intrigued by the ingenious ways designers came up with solving various functional problems. I like following the ingenuity of projects like the Deniz shutter. Perhaps, I'll add one to my collection some day.

Can't wait to hear the reports of how it worked out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin