Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,787   Online: 1190

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speed Graphic to buy

A friend wants to sell a Speed Graphic set (see below) for $160. He used it as a journalist, but was more a writer than a photographer, so my guess is it is in good shape. Does the price seem ok?
    Also, if I want to use some of my view camera lenses (a couple of Caltars - 90 and 210) and a 135 W Nikkor, how hard would it be to adapt them to the Speed Graphic? Are boards available? I've always wanted something smaller than my Cambo for field use, and as I get older, the smaller camera is more appealing.
    Some of this stuff I'm not interested in, or have, and would sell off cheap.
    His gear:
    4x5 Speed Graphic
    f/4.7 Graflex Optar lens, with hood
    Cooke 15-inch telephoto lens (with lens board and lens hood)
    2 4x5 cut film holders
    Film pack adapter
    Polaroid back
    Flash gun with 5-inch and 7-inch reflectors
    Solanoid shutter trip
    Graflex vulcanoid carrying case

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jump on it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grab it. There's not a lot that can go wrong with one.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    If you don't want it, I do!
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    with regard to the price...as with all used cameras, the fair market value depends very much upon the vintage and condition. If it is a late model, is complete and in good working order, then that price seems quite reasonable. Without seeing some photos however, it is difficult to say. Old beat up speeds go for as little as $40. Late model speeds can fetch upwards of $400.

Yes. Lens boards are available. MPEX still sells them brand new (for the Pacemakers) and decent reproductions and nice used Graphic lens boards are readily available in the usual used marketplaces.

My mom was a writer who carried a camera. I don't think it is a good assumption that just because a journalist is primarily a writer...that the camera is in good condition. To her, the camera was just a tool...one that she wasn't particularly fond of. Some of her used gear ended up in the "for parts" bin at the newspaper. I think the greater proportion of it though, ended up in the big "unrepairable" bin behind the building.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    If you don't want it, I do!
    Uhh second dibbs?
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    OT: brian, if your sig is serious, I have a stash of #22 bulbs I can't possibly use all of. PM me.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that's who's I think it is -- then trustworthy seller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For that price it's a bargain. Don't hesitate

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are Speed Graphics, and there are other Speed Graphics. Graflex.org has much useful information. The pre-anniversary model (prior to 1940) is less versatile than later models. It and the Anniversary model (1940-1946) both use 4 inch square lensboards that are easy to make from plywood, hardboard, etc. The Pacemaker series Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic (1947-1973) use the stamped boards that BradS mentions. They have the advantage of fold-down infinity stops, useful when two or lenses are regularly used. If you use the rangefinder, the top rangefinder model lets you swap cams for different focal lengths, while the side rangefinder can be adjusted for only one focal length. The Crown lacks a focal plane shutter, but is slightly lighter and more compact. Unlike earlier models, both have somewhat inconvenient front tilt capabilities. The Vulcanoid case is a valuable asset for anyone on the road. Another valuable asset is Graphic Graflex Photography, by Lester and Morgan or Morgan and Morgan. The 8th edition covers up through the early Pacemaker cameras. The 11th edition even covers the Super Graphic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin