Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,955   Online: 1138

Shooter
    Medium Format

Linhof Technika 6x9 help please. Newbie user. Thanks

Hi there. I recently acquired a Linhof Technika. It didn't come with any instructions and I just took a guess on how to operate it. I used the roll back and of course, all the pictures came out blurry. I'm guessing that it's because I have no idea how far to pull the standard out. I pulled it out all the way and that didn't work. I notice that there are four small hole indents or notches where I can pull the standard to and it will stay in place or be locked. I have a 100mm lens and I just can't figure out how far to pull the standard out and which one of those notches to settle the standard.
    I apologize for my newbie question but I've never had a camera like this. Any help would truly be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Gabe

Images
    Good Afternoon, Gabe,

I'm sure that there will be some Technika users who can provide better information, but here's a starting point. Put some waxed paper across the film plane and adjust the focus until you have the sharpest image of a distant object. That should tell how far the bellows need to be extended for infinity focus.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First of all, check the obvious: look for infinity stops or notches, and check to see that you have the proper cam installed.

Did it come with a ground glass back? Without infinity stops or a distance scale, you would need to use that to locate the standard at infinity. Once you have found infinity once, you just need to mark it. My Technika, a version III, uses hand-filed notches on the bed rails to mark infinity. I am not sure if later models used separate mechanical infinity stops or used this same method. If you do not have a ground glass back, you could stretch a piece of wax paper tightly across the film gate in the roll film back, mount the back without the insert, and find infinity on the wax paper. Then, mark the location of your front standard with a Sharpie marker. Obviously not ideal, but it will get you closer than you are now.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, you need both an "infinity stop" and "cam" for that 100mm lens for it to focus with the rangefinder. As pointed out above, you can set the infinity stop yourself if you use a ground glass back (or makeshift one). If you don't have the cam, you will need to get one to use the rangefinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thank you guys!

Very appreciated! I will test out tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You may also be able to find an instruction manual online at www.butkus.org

Cheers

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin