Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,120   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

My first 8x10 at a perfect price.

I just picked up this 8x10 Korona Home Portrait with a 10.75" Goerz Dagar f/6.8 Series III No. 5 lens tonight on indefinite loan. aka, free. Pardon the PJs.

Appears to be in very good condition for a camera that is roughly 90 years old. Even the shutter still looks pretty accurate, although I'll have to bust out my shutter tester to verify.

Fairly light for its size--my tripod doesn't seem to have much problem with it. Although I'll need to construct a larger baseplate adapter to find a better center of balance.

Front and rear standards have a little wiggle to them, though a c-clamp or four may be able to minimize that. Probably not enough to ruin a shot made on a windless day. The thumb screws that lock the rear standards swing are missing, so that doesn't help much. Hopefully I can disassemble it and find some replacements of the proper thread at Home Depot.

Is it sad that my first gut instinct was that the best use for this would be to wait until spring and then lug it down to where the tourists gather and hope that enough families would be willing to drop $35 or so on an impromptu old-timey portrait to make it worth my time?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sexy.

Um, sorry. I meant the camera. Nice score, er, borrow. Be gentle with her.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That tripod looks kind of small under that camera.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a similar Korona View 8x10. The baseplate is needed, it just wobbled too much otherwise.

Lucked out and found an old TV camera tripod by Manfrotto for a song. Big heavy solid iron monster, works great!

Best of luck with your find, although I recommend ditching the PJ's for any shoots in public...
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

8x10---great fun! A heavier tripod would be a nice addition. You said your camera is light, but the profile presents a lot of sail area for wind to work it's mischief. Did any holders come with her?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cool! I had one of these, once upon on a time. Worst (and I mean it) Ebay purchase in history. You know, smashed groundglass in the box, mummified bellows, three huge scratches on the front element of the lens complete with balsam separation. The only thing that was nice was the brass lens flange. Unfortunately, it was my first ebay purchase and it was from overseas, so I didn't know what to do about it. Lesson learnt!

You have done better on all points, except the... uhm... outfit.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always liked Koronas and have an 8x20. You'd never believe it would take a sharp picture but it does time after time.

And yes, that tripod is a bit too small.

Good luck, you'll enjoy 8x10.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    8x10---great fun! A heavier tripod would be a nice addition. You said your camera is light, but the profile presents a lot of sail area for wind to work it's mischief. Did any holders come with her?
    Three holders. Came with a wooden tri-pod with metal center post as well. As-is, the black tri-pod in the photo attaches more securely. Tri-pod head is rated to about 18 pounds with counterweight springs. Camera is only 10. Seems to have no trouble with the camera in my no leg extension + no wind kitchen test.

The wooden tripod needs to have some of the thumb screws to lock it in place replaced. And the camera itself doesn't doesn't want to thread onto it very securely any more. I'm keeping the Korona off of it until I can replace some parts.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Cool! I had one of these, once upon on a time. Worst (and I mean it) Ebay purchase in history. You know, smashed groundglass in the box, mummified bellows, three huge scratches on the front element of the lens complete with balsam separation. The only thing that was nice was the brass lens flange. Unfortunately, it was my first ebay purchase and it was from overseas, so I didn't know what to do about it. Lesson learnt!

You have done better on all points, except the... uhm... outfit.
    I contest that last point.

Previous owner actually build a new bellows for the camera as well. They are in great shape.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here it is with the bigger tripod. The PJs remain the same though.

Website - FB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin