Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you all for the answers. Looks like it's better for me to start with 4x5... I will do more research on the LF photography forum. one dumb question, do large format cameras require a tripod or can i hand hold it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    thank you all for the answers. Looks like it's better for me to start with 4x5... I will do more research on the LF photography forum. one dumb question, do large format cameras require a tripod or can i hand hold it?
    It depends on the camera. Some are hand holdable and some require tripods. You said you want to use movements, however, so you'll need a tripod to be able to precisely do that.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all for the answers. Looks like it's better for me to start with 4x5... I will do more research on the LF photography forum. One dumb question, do large format cameras require a tripod or can i hand hold it?
    There's a subset of LF cameras called "press cameras" which were designed for hand-holding. There's a great website at Graflex.org that is a fairly comprehensive site for the Graflex press cameras. The Busch Pressman cameras were also popular. There were some others, but I can't remember much about them.

That said, the vast majority of LF is tripod based. Why? The cameras are are often heavy, the shutter speeds are slow, and you can't use movements while hand-holding (it's nearly impossible to focus on a ground glass that's moving).
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would be just about impossible to use a monorail/view camera without a tripod. maybe if you had 5 hands.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    can i handhold field cameras?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IMO unless impossible or not practical in a situation using a tripod for any format is helpful. Especially with large format focusing on the ground glass with a loupe and under a focusing cloth just doesn't cut it. Also a view camera isn't for grab shots. Take your time compose the image and remember you are looking at it upside down and backwards. I've used a Toyo field camera for a number of years and have been pleased with it. I only use it on a sturdy tripod.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there are sorta field cameras with rangefinders. Linhof Technikas, usually classified as technical cameras. There are other makes. And there are sorta technical cameras with rangefinders. Press cameras in general.

Yes, some 4x5 and 5x7 cameras were made to be used handheld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can hand hold them, but you can probably only guess focus and composition with them. You'd need something with a rangefinder and a viewfinder, or at least a focusing scale, and generally those things are only found on press or technical cameras.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need a Range-finder or focus scale for hand held work, you just focus on the screen first, but you do need some kind of viewfinder or sight & frame finder and a s ahs been said they are only fitted on Press & Technical camera.

Press cameras have extremely limited movements, technical cameras are in between them and field cameras and so more practical. Graflex were far to late in introducing the Super Graphics, Linhof & MPP had filled the market after WWII.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks guys for the info. after much researching, i think i might end up getting a shen hao. they're cheap and get good reviews from many people. what do you guys think?

I'm thinking about the HZX 4X5-IIA and TZ45-IIB right now.

I watched this youtube video of the TZ45-IIB here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertWh.../6/H6M4BWxwAp0

It shows that if I want to use the roll film holder, i have to remove the ground glass every time, that could be a pain... is there some other way around this? also, do i have to take off the ground glass when i'm shooting sheet film too?
    Last edited by Rinthe; 11-19-2010 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin