Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 799

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Large Format View camera that shoots roll film plus possible future digital back?

So i went from 35mm to medium and now i'm looking at view cameras...

is it better to get a large format camera with roll film back or a medium format view camera?

any suggestions welcome, I'm very new to the LF. I really don't want to carry around something very big, but i WANT the movements!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have three roll film backs { 120 - 6X7, 6X9, 220 - 6X7 }
    That I use with the 4X5, total cost for all three $67.00.
    Taking the Low-Budget approach at the moment.
    Hopefully someday the 500C will be repaired ...

Someday Soon Hopefully ?

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 11-16-2010 at 12:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do have a 500c/m. but i don't see any way to make it move since the shutter is in the lens :/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One solution is to get a Sinar f or p with a bag bellows ,you can use a roll film back with ease and for digital there is the option of a sliding back or less ideal, an adaptor back which allows you to put a P45 on to a hasselblad film back fitting. I Have used the sliding back years and it works well . This option also allows you to expand your kit with endless amounts of Sinar equipment which can be had at a very good price indeed .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going to put a digital back on it some day, I'd go for any 4x5 with a standard Graflok style back. It has been the standard for decades now, and I don't imagine it changing any time soon. I don't know anything about digital, but all digital backs for 4x5 cameras must be compatible with the Graflok system. 4x5s are not really large cameras, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If it was not for the digital thing, I might suggest getting a medium format view camera or SLR with movements, such as the Fuji 6x8. That would give you movements without having to move up to sheet film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-16-2010 at 02:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The difference in weight and size between a 5x4 camera and a similar MF field, technical or monorail camera is often not that significant and a 5x4 camera will have more long term flexibility because you can shoot MF with a roll film back or 5x4.

I don't find carrying my Wista 45DX around any more cumbersome than a MF SLR with prism etc which is why I stopped using my MF slrs except for some commercial work over 20 years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    So i went from 35mm to medium and now i'm looking at view cameras...

is it better to get a large format camera with roll film back or a medium format view camera?

any suggestions welcome, I'm very new to the LF. I really don't want to carry around something very big, but i WANT the movements!
    Since you are new to LF, and you WANT the movements, I suggest that you try to make learning to use movements as easy as possible. To learn movements you need to be able to see what happens when you make movements.

IMHO, small film doesn't work well for this. Newbies should start out with sheet film, at least 5x4. Two main reasons. First, it's big enough you can see what you are doing on the ground glass -- and the ground glass never lies. Second, you can develop the sheets individually so you get quicker feedback -- the film you exposed this afternoon can be on your light table tonight and you can see how successful (or not) your use of front tilt really was. During the initial learning phases, this can actually be cheaper than using roll film -- better to screw up one sheet than an entire roll.

I also suggest that you start with a "normal" lens of around 150mm for said 5x4 camera. Why? Again, two main reasons. First, a normal lens is far more useful on an LF camera than it is on a small format camera. As a newbie you probably won't believe that -- I didn't. But after a few years I bought a 150mm lens and find I use it surprisingly frequently. Second, again, it's easier to learn movements if you can see what you are doing. Too short a lens and the effects of movements are too small to see easily.

Will you listen to me? I doubt it. I asked similar questions and mistakenly disregarded most of the answers when I was starting LF. Yet, if you can bring yourself to do what I couldn't -- learn from the experience of others, it will definitely speed up your climbing of the learning curves, and decrease your frustration levels. Really.

There's a wealth of information and experience available from the LF photography forum. The home page contains a lot of articles written by members to help people come up to speed quickly. It's nearly as big as APUG; but instead of being focused on analog, it's focused on LF and ULF. Search the archives and articles and ask all the questions you want.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Listen to those that have already done the LF and put it into practice, that should keep the learning curve from becoming a death spiral.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are a number of large format style cameras that shoot roll film. As mentioned above... it's not the easiest starting point. I would suggest starting with 4x5 and sheet film, then moving into a roll film back down the road. Better yet would be starting with a 5x7 camera and getting a 6x17 roll film back down the road.

You can find these cameras on the ShenHao site or at Ebony Cameras. These two make a good selection to see what's out there... although you might decide to get a used one to start.

I've used a number of MF cameras.... none had movements.

-Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    try to find a person in your area that wants to show you the benefit/pittfalls of the LF in the field so you have an idea what it does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin