Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,068   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Checking ground glass/film holder tolerances

Can anyone point me to articles on the web or in print that describe practical techniques for testing ground glass/film plane tolerances. I am aware of an article on the subject that appeared in PhotoTechniques in 1999 but would like to know of any others that may be out there, perhaps in View Camera? or in on-line sites.

Sandy King

Images
    There was one in VC, or shutterbug, maybe, that described using a tooth pick and a pencil. Pretty informative and it works well. I remember the techniques but not where the article appeared, sorry.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, no article, but FWIW this works for me: put a post-it pad inside the film holder and peel away sheets until a ruler lies flush across both it and the edge of the film holder. Then put the pad against the inside of the ground glass and see if the depth is the same. Not a perfect system, but pretty good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    There was one in VC, or shutterbug, maybe, that described using a tooth pick and a pencil. Pretty informative and it works well. I remember the techniques but not where the article appeared, sorry.
    Thanks, I believe that is the one in Photo Techniques.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done it using a steel rule from a carpenters square and a caliper with a depth feeler. laid the ruler across the seat area and the caliper against the rule and pushed the feeler down to contact the bed or the glass. It's best to check your filmholder with film in it naturally and careful not to scratch the GG with the feeler. Don't just check one spot but the center and four corners if at all possible.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    I've done it using a steel rule from a carpenters square and a caliper with a depth feeler. laid the ruler across the seat area and the caliper against the rule and pushed the feeler down to contact the bed or the glass. It's best to check your filmholder with film in it naturally and careful not to scratch the GG with the feeler. Don't just check one spot but the center and four corners if at all possible.
    Yes, ANSI specifications state that the T-dimension should be the same everwhere on the septum 1/4" outside of the film retaining lip.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lambrecht and Woodhouse describe the toothpick method in their book "Way Beyond Monochrome"
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Can anyone point me to articles on the web or in print that describe practical techniques for testing ground glass/film plane tolerances. ...
    Sandy,

It's not clear to me what you're asking. Are you looking for a method to adjust the ground glass to match the film plane of a holder? Or are you asking how to determine what is a realistic tolerance? Or something else?...
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    Sandy,

It's not clear to me what you're asking. Are you looking for a method to adjust the ground glass to match the film plane of a holder? Or are you asking how to determine what is a realistic tolerance? Or something else?...
    Just looking for references to articles that may have been published on the subject. Don't need the how to or tolerances, just references to what others may have already published on the subject, either in print or on the web.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that falls under "something else". ;-)

Good luck!
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin