Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 991

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard of people using paper safes for tray processing of sheet film in the light, but the replenishment method will give you the economy you're looking for with stuff you already own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't remember the exact amount, but I've developed 4x5 in 5x7 trays that were just under half full. I've done as many as 8 sheets at a time with no problem other than it taking forever because I do one at a time to avoid scratches. I recently got a tank that can hold 12 sheets. I plan on using that because the extra chemicals are worth it to save the time, to have less to clean up, and to have better control of the temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever done 24 sheets back to back in a 12 sheet tank.
    I've been considering that option for when I go to Montana next year.

And would the development time need to be increased ?

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    Exactly. the quantity is regardless the amount of film and it's a lot.
    I'd like to use less chemical as possible (to save money).
    If you're not into zone system adjustments, try a gallon of Diafine. You just keep reusing the same developer over and over for several years, so filling up with 1.5L to develop two sheets isn't an issue.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Have a look for a Paterson Orbital tray - With these, you can develop up to four sheets of 5x4 film with less than 100ml of chemicals (although I prefer to use 150-200ml).

The Paterson Orbital had the option of a manual or a motorised base, but unfortunately, it is no longer in production.
    I second the Paterson Oribital - sadly only available on the used market. Once load in complete darkness the rest can be carried out in ordinary room lighting. Continuous agitation is required and as said 1 to 4 sheets of 4x5, 2 sheets 5x7 or 1 sheet of 8x10 can be processed in a small amount of chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I do most of my 4x5 in a Jobo tank/processor combination, I use single sheet tubes for on-offs or when i want inversion/stand development.

See http://www.gapatterson.com/grahamp/d...lfdevelop.html

There are many ways to do it, and everyone has their devotees.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You do not say what tank you are using.. The JOBO Expert 3010 will hold up to 10 sheets of 4x5 and can be used by rolling it manually across a level surface. The advantage of the JOBO tanks is that they will allow small one-shot quantities of chemical which can be used and thrown away without loss relative to the capacity of the developer. The Expert 3010 has a minimum fluid requirement of 210ml for complete coverage of the film. Practically, this means that you use the quantity of developer required for the film area, not some larger amount to fill the tank.

For small numbers of sheets look for what is called a "slosher". Googling "film slosher" will bring it up. This, however, requires more chemical and a darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't mention the tank. If it is the 2521 tank w/ 1 6-sheet reel then it only needs 270 ml of developer.

Jobo tanks are made to be used horizontally. If you don't have a Jobo processor then you can either roll the tank back and forth on the the table or use a motor base. However, a 2521 tank is too short for comfortable use on a motor base -- two fixes are: attach another tank to the bottom of the 2521 using the magnets on both bases; or slide the tank into a longer length of PVC drain pipe, the tank can roll around inside the larger pipe so it doesn't need to be any sort of tight fit.

If you are only doing 2 sheets then use a 4x5 or 5x7 tray.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-18-2010 at 06:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, some JOBO tanks were never made for horizontal use, the 2000 series for instance. These are inversion tanks

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    You don't mention the tank. If it is the 2521 tank w/ 1 6-sheet reel then it only needs 270 ml of developer.

Jobo tanks are made to be used horizontally. If you don't have a Jobo processor then you can either roll the tank back and forth on the the table or use a motor base. However, a 2521 tank is too short for comfortable use on a motor base -- two fixes are: attach another tank to the bottom of the 2521 using the magnets on both bases; or slide the tank into a longer length of PVC drain pipe, the tank can roll around inside the larger pipe so it doesn't need to be any sort of tight fit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post

If you are only doing 2 sheets then use a 4x5 or 5x7 tray.
    I had a Jobo 2509n reel and 2500 series tank back when I was doing 4X5. I found that the best results I got were when I floated the tank in a tempered water bath and rotated it by hand. I never had a jobo machine, but I found that normal motor bases tended to cause very uneven development while the randomness of hand rotation floating in water resulted in perfect evenness.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin