Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,466   Online: 986

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a unicolor 8x10 photo-paper drum and unicolor roller, lets me develop 4 4x5 sheets at a time in around 300ml of chemistry.

The constant agitation creates some very high contrast negatives, but I like my photos that way.

Here's some info: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another solution would be to try a two bath developer such as Thorntons two bath. 1500ml will happily develop 49 sheets before expiry. Also it is very inexpensive to make up and is easy to use. The formula is on the public domain so I am giving it here: -

Solution A

Water 1000ml
    Metol 9.5g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 126g
    Water to 1500ml

Solution B

Water 1000ml
    Sodium Metaborate 18g
    Water to 1500ml

Try 5 minutes in each solution with no rinse between solutions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use replenished XTOL in the Jobo 3010 Expert Tank on a Jobo CPP 2 for up to 10 sheets at a time. Low chemistry cost and consistantly great results.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    i'm new to LF and i use at the moment a jobo tank/ reel to develop the films. The reel can keep up to 6 sheets and the tanks need 1.5 liter to develop (never mind if inside is one sheet or 6 sheets).
    I'm wandering if there is the possibility to develop using less solution. Most of the time I do not have 6 sheets to develop but only 2 or 4 and 1500 cc is really a lot.
    Thanks for your help

marco
    Marco, I use a Jobo tank and reel for 4x5 but I use it horizontally on a Jobo processor. This requires a minimum of 270mm of developer. I don't think that this can used properly without the processor. I develop 8x10 sheet film in an Expert Drum which can be easily rolled horizontally by hand and doesn't require a processor (I roll it in my darkroom sink).

You can find second-hand Jobo CPE-2 processors for not much money and they are very economical to use, with regard to chemistry. If you can't find or can't afford one, tray development is also economical. I have NEVER been any good at tray development, however. I always scratch at least one negative. Some guys swear by it but they are obviously more careful than I.

A slosher is probably the next economical way to go and when my CPE-2 dies, I will probably be looking into that.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kauffman v36 View Post
    the bzts (sp?) tubes look like they use the least amount of dev. per sheet but i could be wrong. AND you can do a lot of the development in the daylight.
    bzts (sp) i have no clue what they are. As well as slosher, ....what is a slosher? Sorry but' I'm italian :-(
    As far as i understand the tray should be the more economical way to develop but at daylight.
    Paterson orbital is hard to find here.
    I guess i have to tray with tray....thanks anyway

marco

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some helpful images regarding the slosher tray in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=55969
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bzts (sp) i have no clue what they are. As well as slosher, ....what is a slosher? Sorry but' I'm italian :-(
    marco
    Lord, even an Italian ought to be able to google "film slosher", like I said to. If you had, the first choice given would have shown a picture of Steve Peterson's six negative slosher.

The advantage of them is that the negatives stay untouched as you move them from tray to tray and you can process 1 to 6 negatives without having to stack them or handle them in any way. It is very useful for N+ or N- development, where you have only a small number of negatives to be developed differently and the process is relatively random for even development of the negative. You just agitate by a pumping up and down motion in the tray alternated with a repetitive motion similar to a priest's signing of the cross, using the "Dominus" motion several times and, then, skipping the Dominus bit and only doing the "Vobiscum" part several times.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    You can find an instructional video for the btzs tubes on YouTube. I watched that and then built my own version out of black ABS sewer pipe. Its the most consistent developing I've ever used.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As far as i understand the tray should be the more economical way to develop but at daylight.
    Paterson orbital is hard to find here.
    I guess i have to tray with tray....thanks anyway

marco
    Marco,

Trays or your Jobo tanks or whatever container you please replenishing is the most economical.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbooks View Post
    Lord, even an Italian ought to be able to google "film slosher", like I said to. If you had, the first choice given would have shown a picture of Steve Peterson's six negative slosher.
    Thanks a lot, and thanks for the Lord, I have really appreciated

marco

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin