Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,034   Online: 987

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

developing 4x5 sheet film

i'm new to LF and i use at the moment a jobo tank/ reel to develop the films. The reel can keep up to 6 sheets and the tanks need 1.5 liter to develop (never mind if inside is one sheet or 6 sheets).
    I'm wandering if there is the possibility to develop using less solution. Most of the time I do not have 6 sheets to develop but only 2 or 4 and 1500 cc is really a lot.
    Thanks for your help

marco

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    not exactly sure how the jobo tanks work but every tank ive seen you need to fill it to capacity to evenly deelop the film, regardless of the amount of film. If you only have 1 or 2 sheets to develop maybe try tray processing.

The point of the tank being full is that the 1 or 2 sheets you have in the tank need to be covered with developer at all times or else youll get very uneven development.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    I'm wandering if there is the possibility to develop using less solution.
    If you have the typical 25xx Jobo tank with the 2509 reel, you can do manual rolling and only use ~300ml of developer. However, this would require you to keep rolling the tank for as long as the development process takes place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Jobo 2000 tanks only need 1 litre per 6 sheet reel, I use Pyrocat HD which works out very economic even with that volume of dev.

However you might be better off using a replenished developer, Xtol would be ideal as uniquely you replenish with fresh developer. There one or two recent threads on replenishing Xtol and it's what I did for about 20 years, very economic and consistent and the volume you need in the tank us unimportant (as long as the film is covered).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly. the quantity is regardless the amount of film and it's a lot.
    I'd like to use less chemical as possible (to save money). Is quite strange nobody has developed a way to process at light the films in a closed tray that can be agitated as well.
    The classical tray processing need to be operated in total dark. I love light....

marco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have a look for a Paterson Orbital tray - With these, you can develop up to four sheets of 5x4 film with less than 100ml of chemicals (although I prefer to use 150-200ml).

The Paterson Orbital had the option of a manual or a motorised base, but unfortunately, it is no longer in production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Have a look for a Paterson Orbital tray - With these, you can develop up to four sheets of 5x4 film with less than 100ml of chemicals (although I prefer to use 150-200ml).

The Paterson Orbital had the option of a manual or a motorised base, but unfortunately, it is no longer in production.
    as far as i know is out of production. i'll try on Ebay.....
    thanks!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the bzts (sp?) tubes look like they use the least amount of dev. per sheet but i could be wrong. AND you can do a lot of the development in the daylight.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm with Ian, Xtol replenished will solve the cost problem.

17.5 ml per 4x5 sheet is what I plan on.

I develop my 4x5 in a Nikor tank that can do 12 sheets and needs a full liter of developer to cover, still it's just 17.5ml per sheet that's "lost" the rest goes back into storage.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ciao Marco,

I second the idea of tray developing. You will need total darkness and it does take a little practice, but once mastered, it is simple, low-tech, reliable and more flexible than any other technique. I can set up to develop 1 to as many sheets as I want, in batches of 6-8 and use as little as 250ml of chemistry at at time.

There is a lot of information on this and other forums about tray developing. Give it a try.

Best and good luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin