Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,319   Online: 888

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film holder measurements. Adapting for half/quarter plate camera.

I'm wanting to start shooting LF when I get a few more supplies, etc but I'm short of plate/film holders for a couple of very old cameras.

If anyone has 4x5 or 5x7 film holders handy, would they mind measuring up the outside width&length? -That is, the part that slides into the camera - which means minus the length of the bit that holds the dark slide.

All I have to go on is the size of the GG back for each camera:
    4 1/8 x 5" (104x127mm)
    5 3/4 x 7 3/8" (145x187mm)

I'm guessing I can pick up some 4x5 and 5x7 holders on ebay and modify them without too much trouble.

Alternately, if anyone has film/plate holders for sale to suit the half/quarter plate Goerz Anschutz cameras, let me know!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    5x4 Fidelity Elite DDS:

Width - 121mm
    Thickness - 11.30mm

Length overall - 172.90mm
    Length to top of locating lip - 140.73mm - Lip measures 2.60mm
    Distance between lip and label area - 19.01mm

Measuring the international back it's self:

Width - 121.25mm
    Length to locating groove - 138.56mm
    width of groove - 3.96mm (1.57mm deep)
    Total length of DDS area before any change in thickness (excluding locating lip) - approx 150mm.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 11-19-2010 at 03:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you got a similar camera to what Ash over on www.lfphoto.info/forum has. He's done a conversion of his camera.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 11-19-2010 at 06:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected the URL
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one camera should be a 9x12 Goerz, sometimes sold with Quarter plate film holders which were made the same width. The other should be a 13x18, both to single sided plate holders an the 9z12 would have accepted a film pack adaptor.

Neither is easy to convert to use modern DDS (cut film holders) because the film plane is different. 9x12 to 5x4 conversions can be done but you need to make a complete new back with focus screen as well.

However plate holders are quite easy to find particularly on Ebay.de (same login details as all other Ebay's) but there was no standard (see this thread) and 9x12 film is available from the EU were it's still a standard size, but you need to get some film conversion inserts which are much harder to find but are all interchangeable and a standard size.

The 13x18 would be easier to make a conversion back for if you have a spare 5x4 back/screen.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-19-2010 at 04:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your responses.
    I've used the smaller camera with a 6x9 roll film back, which slides on there with a couple of spacers I've made from blank circuit board. This has given me good images, providing I frame them correctly, and I seem to have the film plane in the right place (which is something I forgot to allow for when I set it up!).
    From what I can see, the 4x5 or 5x7 holders have no lip on them.

Thanks Ian! I'm infreqently checking ebay.de for the same cameras. I should have clicked and had a look for holders too. Going to do that now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could make a 5x4 back easily for the larger camera. Use an old Graflex or similar film pack holder (they are cheap) to convert to a focus screen, just fix a ground glass screen inside it, then make a frame to hold it that slips into the camera in place of the current back. It needs to be able to hold either the film pack holder or a modern DDS.

It's easier to do than write about in a few words with no illustrations. Actually I'm writing about how to make something very similar for a magazine at the moment so will take some photos yhis weekend. I've made an adaptor to allow me to use a Roll film back on a wooden Quarter plate camera, I have a film pack holder so may convert that as well for a Half plate camera.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin