Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,685   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lens suggestions for Graflex R.B. Super D 4x5

I'm getting into 4x5 for the first time with a Graflex R.B. Super D 4x5. I have a 190mm lens on it now, but I'm looking for a suggestion for a portrait lens. I want an old-timey soft look. I'm thinking maybe an old brass lens. Also, what's the widest lens I can use on this camera? I'm also looking for a developing tank suggestion for B&W processing.
    Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope this isn't hijacking the thread too badly, but where does one find film holders for these cameras? I understand they use special film holders. I have one of the old graphlex SLR cameras, but I have never used it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George, 190 is about it. Ain't no retrofocus lenses for LF cameras and anything much shorter than 190 will get in the mirror's way.

If you want the old-timey soft look, think about film, paper, and processing. That's usually what did it, lenses have been quite good forever.

Alan, to learn how to recognize film holders that fit Graflex (as in Graflex SLR) backs, visit www.graflex.org. Then look for 'em on eBay. They turn up there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan is right, 190 is about as short as you can go, if focusing to infinity is required. You can often use lenses in the 165 range as long as you are focusing closer, as you often will when shooting portraits. There are true soft focus lenses out there, and you certainly can try out various barrel lenses. Since you are focusing with the viewing hood (usually) with the Graflex the speed of the lens can be a factor. One of the strengths of these cameras is the ability to focus a fast lens wide open even when photographing people. Part of the look becomes a shallow depth of field. You can look for faster Tessars, Pentacs, some people have adapted Aero Ektars. You can spend small money or big, if you want a true soft focus lens that might set you back a bit, but on the other hand an older uncoated Tessar wide open (like a 4.5 or 3.5) may give you just what you are looking for and not cost very much. And Dan's advice about film, paper and processing is also good.

The holders are out there, lots of times the sellers don't know what they have so you have to study the pictures. I got two grafmatics that way. If I hadn't bought them it's likely that some buyer would've been very confused and upset. Lucky I came along. The other option is to have the back converted to take standard holders. SK Grimes does a great job with that.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a custom made adapter plate so that a Graflok back is fitted to my Graflex Model D. Hence I use Grafmatic 45 film magazines.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    aside from conventional lenses that are made for large format ..
    you might consider experimenting with lenses harvested off of
    folding cameras and box cameras. one of the beautiful things about
    your camera ( and other graflex slrs ) is the focal plane shutter.

alan,
    look for film holders with slotted sides,
    they are larger than "regular" film holders ...
    besides ebay, places like equinoxphotographic and pacificrimcamera
    tend to have those sorts of things ..

- john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know a local photographer who loves shooting portraits with a Kodak Aero Ektar 178mm attached to his Super D. I use the same lens on my Speed Graphic and love the effect. SK Grimes or Jo Lommen can make a lensboard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The aero ektar will not fit on a Super D 4x5 without modifacation. The rear element dips too far back and impedes the mirror.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    to answer your question, just about any barrel lens from 200-300mm will work great on a super D.
    One thing to look out for is really large lenses may not fit in the throat of the camera. but its hard to say unless you have it. But many large shuttered lenses may not fit.

Some other lenses that would be good on a super D.. Heliars, xenars, ektars (in barrel), kodak anastigmats, dagors, some symmars came in barrels.

I personally have the 190mm ektar on mine and its a good one. I also have a 210mm and 240mm f4.5 Xenar.

One lens I highly reccomend is the 15" tele-raptar/optar. This lens is right at home on a graflex SLR. It often comes in a barrel and goes for crazy low prices.

If you want a cheap alternative to a barrel lens, get a +1/+2/+3 close-up lens set in a large diameter. Glue an extra filter ring on a peice of cardboard and stack 2 or more of the filters in front. There you go, a double or triple meniscus lens.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have an 8 3/4 in Verito that I use on my Super D. Lovely lens. I also have a variety of old brass lens I use that give different effects. I hardly ever use the 190mm Ektar that is standard on these cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin