Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haze on lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format

haze on lens?

I'm looking to buy an aero ektar lens.

any idea what this haze might be?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I see two lights falling on the glass. I would venture, in absence of physical inspection, that the 'haze' to which you refer is a whole bunch of electrons bouncin' all around down in there. Again, without the lens in hand and by that illustration, there's know way to determine fungus, moisture, bad cement, or whatever else it could conceivably be.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I vote for bouncing electrons. Seriously though, I agree with Christopher that it's difficult to tell from a photo. You usually just have to buy it and cross your fingers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    not talking about the lights. on the left side of the lens, you can see the 'haze' im talking about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Possibly cement or coating flaking off.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I see two lights falling on the glass. I would venture, in absence of physical inspection, that the 'haze' to which you refer is a whole bunch of electrons bouncin' all around down in there. Again, without the lens in hand and by that illustration, there's know way to determine fungus, moisture, bad cement, or whatever else it could conceivably be.
    Actually, I would vote for photons, rather than electrons.

Otherwise, I agree fully.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Geez, Matt. Well, um, duh, you're right. Stupid keys.

As to the discoloration on the left, I would vote for coating that has not been rubbed off yet. That, in and of itself, shouldn't affect image quality.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow. Did I really say Electrons? And did Mike really not catch that? ;p Sorry, I like company under that bus. Nice tranny.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's some sort of crud visible at the edge of the front element from roughly 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock. Might be oil, might be coating damage. If oil, a microfiber cloth and Super Kote or maybe R.O.R. lens cleaning fluid might remove it. If coating damage, negligible.

I can't tell what's going on with the rear element's outer surface. Whoever took the pictures want to learn how to photograph lenses.

If the lens' price is low enough, gamble. If too high or you're very risk averse, don't get it. It is, though, much cleaner than most of the ones I've seen on offer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From what i understand the Aero-Ektar lens contain glass elements made of Thorium, which is radioactive and causes internal fogging.

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelbr...aeroektar.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin