Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,449   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Solution

Personally for the number of shots you would get from a roll of film (4?) you could use regular film holders and just make a mask for your ground glass for composition which is what I do. But then i am extremely cheap and really don't do alot of panoramic shots.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    Personally for the number of shots you would get from a roll of film (4?) you could use regular film holders and just make a mask for your ground glass for composition which is what I do. But then i am extremely cheap and really don't do alot of panoramic shots.
    I guess you could, I've got guidelines drawn on my GG for different formats, as well as using cut-out masks... butI'll tell you, I'd rather get six (6 shots when shooting 6x12) shots to a roll than one to a sheet when it ends up in the same format. Just me though, I like 6x12, it's kind of a 'fat panoramic', but if you didn't shoot wide very much, then I guess a whole sheet would do. The up-side of that is, if your wide composition doesn't work well, you've still got the rest of the full 4x5 neg to fall back on.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlamarsh View Post
    As mentioned, you get six shots to a roll. If you're shooting more than one roll this is quite a saving in the size and weight of equipment you need to carry and the film and processing cost savings, particularly if you're shooting colour, are quite significant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Something I used to do before I got myself that 6x12 roll film back was to cut one sheet film shade in two halves. So I take such a half along (the one with the grip). When shooting panoramas I compose the panorama to be either the upper or the lower half of the sheet film / ground glass. When exposing I remove the standard shade and insert the cut/half shade either at the top or bottom of the holder. If I position the panorama at the top, I place the half shade at the bottom and vice versa. I expose, then remove the half shade and reinsert the full one.
    This way you can get two panoramas on one sheet. Although it won't be 6x12, more like 5x12. Cheap solution, will just need to "sacrifice" one shade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's not too late, another vote for the Horseman -- I believe they are also available under the Arca name. Do remember that they do their backs in formats other than 4x5 so make sure you go for the right type.

You can also get Wista backs but, on an admittedly small sample of 3 backs, I have the impression the Horsemans are a little more robust -- I'd still get another one though.

The DaYi and Art-Panorama backs are more primitive though you can get them as multi-format (expansion) backs going up to 6x17
    Last edited by RedTownCats; 12-02-2010 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RTC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up an all metal Shen Hao 6x12 back for just over $150. I checked the frame spacing by running a dummy film through it and there were no problems. I think a got a bargain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTownCats View Post
    The DaYi and Art-Panorama backs are more primitive...
    Yep, there's nothing fancy about them, a two piece black box with a spool at each end, a kurled knob attached to one of them, and a darkslide. I like the simplicity, less things to breakdown

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin