Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

612 roll film backs for 4x5

I'm looking for my options for a 612 roll film back for my large format. Can't afford the Linhof but looking for high quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Horseman, which I bought used. I had looked at one of the Chinese (Da-Yi, or something like that), but the Horseman is far better built.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What is the cost of a Horseman back? Who would you recommend to purchase from?

Thanks, Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one of the DaYi backs a few years or so ago. When I was looking in to roll film backs I heard reports of a well constructed, all metal back made by them, and a lower quality one with cheap plastic parts. Managed to get an all metal one second hand and it has been fantastic, the build quality is great and it operates exactly as it should. When comparing the prices to others on the market, it was an easy decision for me to make.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The metal DaYi back is exactly the same as the Shen Hao 6x12 back. The Da Yi and probably the Shen Hao back come with metal masks in the formats 6x9, 6x6 and 6x4,5. The cheapest metal DaYi back is about US$ 220 on ebay. The plastic back is cheaper but so is the quality.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Horseman 6x9. It's similar to the Horseman 6x12. I liked it in the beginning, but soon realized that I found it annoying that I had to remove the ground glass first before I was able to attach it. So while shooting - if I wanted to do a few different views/angles - I had to constantly remove GG, attach back, shoot, remove back, re-attach GG, etc...
    I then bought a Sinar Zoom 2 roll film back. I simply love it. It supports variable formats (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12), which can be changed mid-rool, plus it can be inserted between the ground glass and bellows like any other 4x5 holder - it is a bit thicker, but that's not a problem at all. I highly recommend it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I think mine is the Shen Hao, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by hirokun View Post
    ...but soon realized that I found it annoying that I had to remove the ground glass first before I was able to attach it
    Now that you mention it, yes, I find that very annoying too, a slip-in one would be ideal. I use a Wista metal field and it is a little fiddly to get the GG off: Pull it up, hold the two spring arms, let the gg fall back down into the rear standard, slide it sideways, let the springs snap back down, remove GG... a two handed job, not fun in the cold and near impossible with gloves.

I was aware of 6x7 slide in backs, but not multi-format ones like the Sinar... I anticipate their ebay prices rising sharply after this thread!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too was interested in the Sinar, until I came to the part where the $3,000 price entered the picture. I decided the Horseman would suffice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SWphoto View Post
    I too was interested in the Sinar, until I came to the part where the $3,000 price entered the picture. I decided the Horseman would suffice
    Well in that case... I won't even be looking into it! I'll just have to hold on to that impossible dream and add it to the list of things I will one day find at a garage sale :P

For now, I'm happy with fiddly springs if it means I've saved $2800!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh no way! $3000 is way overpriced. Well, unless it's brand new. I bought mine for about €400. In a very good condition, including an adjustable adapter for the GG, which shows the crop you'll get in all formats. Bought it off the bay in Germany.

PS: I just checked eBay. There are three Sinar Zoom 2 available as "buy it now". All of them around EUR 550, which is more expensive than I got mine. Definately expensive, but obviously way below USD 3000... Maybe you'll get lucky and be able to auction one or find a cheaper buy-it-now one later on. I guess Christmas season won't be the best time to but stuff off an auction anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin