Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,067   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light meters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light meters

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any light meters out there that can measure fairly low light (like inside houses when it's dark) that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I should probably decloak the fact that I like to use a gray card - all the time - so it doesn't matter which kind I use, although I would probably prefer a spot meter since I'm trying to get into portraiture a bit more.

Thankful for some illumination,

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, Minnesota

PS. I hope I posted this in the right place, I couldn't find a really good spot for a lightmeter discussion.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    Old gossen luna pros will do what you want. Mine is really old and works perfect.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Absolutely - Luna pros are reliable and will work in very low "available darkness" situations. Older ones can be had relatively inexpensively. I would check on ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Roger. Gossen Luna Pro! But watch out! They use 1.35 volt mercury batteries which are extremely hard to find. A conversion is available but I haven't tried it yet. Silver/zincs may work, but a recalibration will be required, and some non-linearity will be observed.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm told Quantum lightmeters are the most sensitive, but I'm not sure if they're still available. Do a search and see what comes up.

I have a couple of Gossens and I'm happy with them.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me chime in here with another bit of praise for a Gossen product, the Luna Pro F. Unlike the old Luna Pro which has a CDS cell, the Luna Pro F has uses a silicon blue cell which has better low light response. It also (very important) uses a regular 9 Volt battery instead of the mercury button cells. Another important feature (for me) it's also a flash meter. I've been using Luna Pro F's since the mid 1980's - they're great!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto on what Bob said. I too use a Luna Pro F and am quite happy with its performance.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can also add the Luna Pro SBC to the kist equally sensitive, null metering useful for Zone work and uses a 9 v. battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    You can also add the Luna Pro SBC to the kist equally sensitive, null metering useful for Zone work and uses a 9 v. battery.
    ted - you beat me to it!

... what ted said

-john

PJC

Greetings,

Spectra light meters, used by all the cinematographers will do what you want. I dare say they can read the light in a dark closet.

Regards, Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin