Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,296   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dallmeyer Rapid Rectilinear, "13x11"?

My dad went to an estate sale recently and purchased a few boxes of stuff that nobody else would bid on - and this popped up.

JH Dallmeyer
    No. 72245 13x11 London
    Rapid Rectilinear
    PATENT.

It has an aperture iris, ranging from f/8-64. It's in surprisingly good condition without too many creepy crawlies growing inside. I've done a search online but lenses marked "13x11" dont seem to pop up. Can anyone give me a bit more information - coverage, focal length?
    I'll assumed the "13x11" was it's intended format size
    Last edited by Alex Bishop-Thorpe; 11-25-2010 at 02:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, a bit more research points to this 1904 lens catalogue from Dallmeyer, and, in particular, this page:

It looks like it might be a Number 8 Rapid Rectilinear, so a 17" focal length - or 430mm.
    Has anyone used one of these before and can comment on performance/coverage?
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've no experience with this big size RR but I know from my own experience of a smaller RR (a no. 2) that they have moderate coverage which may work head on with the next larger size if you stop down a good bit (in my case using the above-mentioned no. 2 on 5x7, stopped down to at least f:32). So, you will be able to use movements using 8x10 up to the 11x13 size and could probably squeeze in a good portrait on 12x15. Also remember, closer than infinity gets you more coverage. Although for this one, you'll need some long bellows.

Ole knows more, without a doubt.

EDIT: Sorry, my lens is actually an Aplanat but it shouldn't change the overall assumptions here (As much as one should trust assumptions vs the cold, hard facts).
    Last edited by Jerevan; 11-25-2010 at 08:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think rectilinear is the lens which Edward Weston used but I heard his one was asymetrical.
    If I am not wrong , it gives very characteristic bokeh and there is a group at flickr discusses that.
    I will try to find the link and post next.
    I googled it and there are many flickr galleries with these lenses
    Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the next size down--a Dallmeyer 10x12 RR. I like it quite a bit as a portrait lens on 8x10. I haven't pushed the coverage, but every RR I've tried softened up in the corners, so I wouldn't count on much extra coverage as a landscape lens. They're very nice high quality lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to the Large Format forum and post over there. There are all kinds of folks who use these older lenses and someone will know the exact details on the lens. Also try looking for it on this site:

http://www.allenrumme.com/lensdb/DBIntro-1.html
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi alex

RR lenses ... they are versatile and convertible
    i am not familiar with the one that you now own,
    but i have 3 or 4 other ones and really like how they render an image ...
    you might front focus ( focus in front of your subject )
    to see what your DOF is like, and how your out of focus areas look.
    you might also consider removing one of the elements, you will probably loose 1.5 fstops
    but it will be worth it ...

have fun !
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin