Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,926   Online: 869

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    So to wrap this up, I picked it up for his asking price. This is what was included in the end:

- Tachihara 4x5 w/sliding back standard (later version from what I've read?), standards seem stable, bellows look good.
    - Fujinon A 240 mm f/9
    - Nikkor SW 90 mm f/8, some specks of coating loss on the front element.
    - 150 mm APO-Sironar N f/5.6, some specks of coating loss on the rear element.
    - 65 mm Super-Angulon f/8 (from 1965)
    - 120/220 back
    - 9 holders
    - Cokin filter kit w/9 filters
    - Home-made dark cloth
    - Lupe, cable release
    - Assorted dark room odds and ends
    - A Users Guide to the View Camera (2nd ed), Using the View Camera (revised ed), The Book of Pyro

The shutters all sounded fine at multiple speeds. All mounted. He said the coating loss didn't have any noticeable impact so hopefully that was accurate. No worse than what I've used on a Bronica SQ lens without any problems. He is the original owner of all but the Super-Angulon.

Once this is formally given to me over the holidays, I'll pare the kit down a bit as I mentioned earlier. Until then, I have plenty to read.

Thank you all for the feedback and encouragement while I looked at this. I have a hard time spending money and taking chances; your thoughts really did help immensely.
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 11-28-2010 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Brian, congratulations on your new outfit. If you have questions while your learning to use it you know where to come.

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great! Now, when you get you hands on the camera, get out there and try all the lenses a few times to see how and if they work for you. It would be annoying to sell off something you realise you actually need a few weeks later. Don't ask how I know.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi ! I don't know weather you have made your purchase yet, but never the less. I think for outdoor work the camera body would be an ideal and the 150/5.6 would be perfect. The three remaining lenses are too slow and not too easy to focus.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I did make the purchase. I also have a tripod on the way so I haven't had a chance to take it out yet.

What sort of shooting do you do? I've heard good things about the Fujinon and Nikkor - I'm curious what you use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Super Angulon 90mm F/8 and it was a little tough to focus, but it worked out fine for me. Having good ground glass or a fresnel lens on the ground glass definitely helps. Sometimes the original ground glass that comes with these cameras is not the brightest. The faster wide angle lenses are easier top focus, and a lot harder to carry and more expensive to buy. For field work, I would personally trade the brightness for the weight and cost of the faster wide angle lenses.

Have fun!

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found the Tachihara's GG to be very good (and had a chance to compare it to other camera's like Toyo 45A, Technika, etc.., and it was in the best ones...)

I still agree that a 90/8 SA was a pain to focus though, and so was a 75/8 SA. The Fujinon 75/5.6 is WAAAAYYY easier on this regard.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alois View Post
    Hi ! I don't know weather you have made your purchase yet, but never the less. I think for outdoor work the camera body would be an ideal and the 150/5.6 would be perfect. The three remaining lenses are too slow and not too easy to focus.
    Yes the other lens are slower and can be more difficult to focus. But they are certainly usable. On the plus side the slower lens are smaller and lighter than f5.6 in equivalent focal lengths with is an advantage for field work. I use an 90mm F8 Super Angulon and a 150mm F9 G-Claron and this includes night photography. In most cases there is something bright enough to focus on and if not I carry two Mini Maglites which I use for focusing aids. The darkcloth you use also make a difference, it is important that the darkcloth fit well around the camera and blocks out all the light.

You own the lenses so I would encourage you to try them out, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Roger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin