Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,112   Online: 875

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also refinished my Zone VI's legs about a decade ago which stopped them sponging up so much water. I can't remember how much it's supposed to weigh, but with the aluminum plate on top and the galvanized bolts, washers, and wing nuts for the legs it weighs about 14 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    I'd like one because I'm 30 years older than I was when I bought the Zone VI.
    Sounds like we're in the same boat...I'm 50 now and don't feel like carrying that beast on day long wanderings through the bush anymore!

Murray

Yes, I use it when I know I won't be hauling it too far from the car or the terrain is pretty flat, say a beach. It's been a good tripod, but it is a bit of a beast to drag around.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two Gitzo CF tripods, one light/small for high-mileage backcountry use and another for close-to-car forays. Both have served well in a variety of conditions (sand, mud, rain, plenty of sub-freezing temps in snowy/icy terrain, streams, etc.). Yes, I treat them quite well. When dirt/sand gets into the leg-locks I disassemble and swoosh them around in the bathtub, let thoroughly dry before applying a dash of lube to threads and reassemble. No problems adjusting except when wet/frozen. Sure they freeze-up if they get wet below 0C. I re-submerge frozen legs into streams to temporarily thaw the locks to collapse legs. Because of steep/rocky terrain and potential to tumble, I attached plumber's foam insulation to the top-most leg section. Cheap insurance.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been using a Gitzo 1325 for the past eight years in the toughest conditions the Dakotas can throw at it. I photo almost exclusively outdoors, and at night. I shoot in the rain, but really love shooting in blizzards! I've used the Gitzo CF in temps down to 38F below zero. Nothing seems to affect it.

Kent in SD

[IMG]
    tripod by duckgrabber, on Flickr][/IMG]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Add me to the Feisol camp. Kerry is great to deal with. I also wanted one tripod that I could use on everything. That plan worked like a charm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Kent, the Gitzo 1325 is on my short list, as is the Feisol 3371 and the woody Berlebach 9033. Good to know you've put it through hell and it could handle it. Do you have to clean it regularly in any way, or can you get it all wet and mucky and not give it a second thought?

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 12-19-2010 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had it 8 years and don't think I've ever cleaned except once, when I was caught in a sandstorm.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Kent...it's nice to know they can stand up to the abuse and not get stuck or jammed.

So, lets see...A Gitzo 1325 weighs 4.45 pounds, plus I'd want the levelling base which weighs 1.32 pounds, for a total of 5.77 pounds. The Berlebach 9033 with a levelling base weighs 6.5 pounds, less than a pound more, and at $319.00 costs less than half what the Gitzo does. Hmmm...

Murray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin