Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,361   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any ideas for better dark cloth?

I always have problems trying to use my standard dark cloth with my 5x4 when it is windy. I find that I need two hands just to control the cloth in these conditions. This leaves no hand left over to hold the loupe, alter the focus, etc.
    Does anyone have any cunning solutions to this problem?

Alan Clark

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Try the BlackJacket (google search it). Best purchase I have made this year. Great customer service too.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A simple homemade solution is to purchase two extra large (or larger if you can find them) T-shirts, one white and one black, and put one inside the other. The doubled material isn't completely lighttight, but it's been sufficient for my purposes at least. The neck of the shirt fits nicely and tightly enough over the GG that it won't come off easily, and the armholes allow access to the GG with a loupe. The only drawback is that it can be a rather warm experience on a hot day in the sun even with the white shirt on the outside because there's not much ventilation possible. It's cheap enough to try at least, and if it doesn't work out you can just give them to an extra large friend.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinely use 2 or 3 Bulldog clips to hold the cloth to the rear standard of my 5X7. With 4X5, I use a Toyo monocular viewer...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Try the BlackJacket (google search it). Best purchase I have made this year. Great customer service too.
    I agree with Francesco. I bought one a couple of months ago and love it.

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_WELCOME.html

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    I agree with Francesco. I bought one a couple of months ago and love it.

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_WELCOME.html

Jim
    I agree with Francesco and Jim. The Blackjacket is fantastic! It is very light, does not slip, fall off or blow off the camera, and it provides a really dark environment for composing and focusing.

PS, I have a Calumet Dark Cloth for sale - CHEAP! :rolleyes:
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    I've got the Zone VI from Calumet, it is way heavier than the others I've seen. I have the 8x10 model and it works great for that and 4x5.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I've got the Zone VI from Calumet, it is way heavier than the others I've seen. I have the 8x10 model and it works great for that and 4x5.
    Yep, that's the one I replaced with the Blackjacket.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions. I think I'll try the teeshirt idea first, then maybe take a closer look at the blackjacket.

Alan Clark

Images
    Ive been using this self designed, home-made for years and it works great and cost practically nothing.

It's made out of a light, slippery fabric that is easy to move around under. It very light tight, Black on one side Gray on the other. The elastic keeps the cloth securely on the camera and yet is easy to attach and remove.

It is sewn closed for several inches back from the GG which keeps reflected light from hitting it from below while allowing you plenty of access to loupe the glass

I haven't used in high winds but I think that a couple of small pony clips on the back corners would probably weight them sufficiently to keep it from flapping around.

The drawing is not to scale but shows shape and detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkcloth.gif  
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin