Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,273   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've also used Paul Ebel to CLA an older Compur and had no problems. Reasonable price and time frame. I talked with him on the phone and found him pleasant and knowledgeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I should've asked who shouldn't I use

I'll make decision soon, and this has made it easier, thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on reading internet photography forums, I wouldn't use a local camera store who doesn't have an in-house tech. That's always been my initial selection criteria.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would learn to do it yourself. If you just want the shutter to work (and not be perfectly accurate at the listed speeds) it's not terribly difficult. You probably will break the first shutter you work on though, that's just the way it works.

Most of the time fixing shutters just involves opening it up, taking the timing gears out and soaking them in lighter fluid and putting the gears back in. If you can't take the gears out open it up and squirt lighter fluid in there and let it evaporate out. Add a tiny bit of oil to the gears after soaking if you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Domaz, I like that idea. I have one that I'd be willing to "sacrifice". Any pointers, tips, tutorials that might help a newbie though? Heck, any books?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As someone keeps posting, “Google is your friend.” Search on the shutter you wish to learn. For some models there are detailed instructions and drawings. What works for one, may not work for another. For instance Grimes says lighter fluid leaking into paper parts will destroy.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would you open a Swiss watch and monkey around? I've opened and disassembled shutters and cleaned them. If they are sticking and the speeds are off that's one thing but if a part is broken, dislodged or bent will you notice it? And what about the tools, do you have a set of watchmakers tools. Where will you get the part or parts that are broken or fly though the air and get lost in the carpet. It's not a ten minute operation either, do you want to spend hours working on it and if you don't completely document the disassembled then what happens when you try to put it back together. It soon becomes better to find another or get professional work done.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you work carefully and deliberately it can be done, but it's not for everyone. If you want to be brave this Blog has a lot of tips on one page and includes procedures for CLAing a Compur shutter. You don't really need precision tools- just a lot of different jewelers screwdrivers. Do your best to not strip any screws and don't disassemble anything unless it's really needed- just take it one step at a time and don't go crazy and you'll be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand the pitfalls that may be associated with this... and yes, I know.. Google. I guess you should've sent me here --> http://lmgtfy.com/

For 1 of my shutters, it is definitely just sticky so I'm tempted to open it up, if for no other reason than to learn that I never want to do it again. My synchro-compur though has a broken part I fear, so that's still going out.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin